• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

last thread for tonight i promise

pimpgixxer04

NAXJA Forum User
ok did a search and found nothing...

my shocks are terrible they dont even work anymore i bottom out on even the smallest of bumps and im looking to replace them, BUT my dilemma is that im gonna be lifting my xj within the next couple of months maybe 6, but i'd like to replace my shocks now but i would like to get shocks that will work with the RE 5.5 lift kit im gonna be purchasing , can i use shocks that will work with that kit while my jeep is still stock? help please.....

No, not really. Some kits that you buy will come with the right length shock. If you get shocks that will work with a 6inch lift they won't be happy at stock. Either deal with the busted shocks or find some second hand ones...

shocks won't keep you from bottoming out...that's a spring issue

if you hit a small bump, and continue to bounce down the road, then it's a shock issue...

just replace everything, you'll be better off in the end

that is true.
without shocks, your ride will feel like you're in a boat on the ocean on a rough day... you'll be bouncing all over, and it makes it kinda hard to control... if you're bottoming out, your springs have sagged to the point where you need new ones. Or, maybe you're on 31's on no lift? I've been there... they rub like crazy!

tayman said:
Or, maybe you're on 31's on no lift? I've been there... they rub like crazy!

Time for some trimming! Does the thang!

tayman said:
that is true.
without shocks, your ride will feel like you're in a boat on the ocean on a rough day... you'll be bouncing all over, and it makes it kinda hard to control... if you're bottoming out, your springs have sagged to the point where you need new ones. Or, maybe you're on 31's on no lift? I've been there... they rub like crazy!

no im completely stock right now, but when i get the lift i'll get new springs...so no need to replace the springs...i just go slow over bumps...but i want to replace both so i guess thats what i'll do when i buy the lift i'll buy new shocks for it as well

Have you tried some cheapo auto-zone ones? They might be better than what you have, and you could probably get all 4 for $100 or so. Just a thought.

another option you have is to buy some quality rear shocks, and when you are ready for your lift, buy some new axle mounts that move the shock mount up. When I got the OME shocks for my 4.5" lift and used the RuffStuff axle mounts I had to actually go out and buy some cheapo's at stock length that would work.

Back