• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help! weird noise

black sunshine

NAXJA Forum User
i have noticed a knock in the rear of my engine. not sure what it is. the noise occurs when you tap the gas then let off, at the point where the engine drops back to idle it makes the knocking sound. it only happens when the engine goes to idle and it only knocks once or twice then the noise stops. it does it while in gear or in neutral but only at idle and only one or two knocks.

i have removed the oil pan and checked to make sure no rod cap bolts were loose. no real signs of wear on the engine so far. i drove it 60 miles the other day and isnt noticeably worse. any suggestions besides doing what we would all LIKE to do and shit can the 4.0 and throw in a 4.7? :speepin: (dreamin)

i cut my exhaust off at the tranny cross member. but i did the flash codes cuz my check engine light is on. it said it was running lean. it really sounds like more of a clunking than a popping, but i could be wrong. any suggestions?

JEONLYEP said:
Mine made a weird popping, banging noise kind of like what you are talking about. It turned out to be a couple loose bolts that hold the flexplate on.

Kinda a shot in the dark, but maybe worth checking....

definitely worth a look^^
I've seen/heard it a bunch of times on the 4.0l.

Back