• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got power but no start!

My 2000 sometimes will not start. When I turn the key in the ignition, all I get is 1 crank and then nothing. The lights go off, the gauges go off too. The battery is 6 months old and good, the alternator is still good and charging. I checked the starter and tightened all solenoids and cleaned off all the oil and sludge. This worked for a few days then in Moab this weekend, it did it again! I did notice that the positive cable at the terminal and clamp are slightly discolored(darker grey). Could this be the issue? What do you guys think?:repair:

Edit: When it does start, it is sluggish almost as if it is starving for fuel. I push the gas and it evens out just fine and idles normally when I release the skinny pedal.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem on my 99, it was the ground cable. It appeared to be fine, but after I looked into it more it was corroded under the insulation. Stripped it back to clean wire and put on a new end and has been fine since.

Josh, make sure you have a good ground. Clean the connections on the engine block by the dip stick and check strap to the firewall.
If you have the battery connectors that clamp on the wires clean them too. The corrosion build up between the strands.
A little problem at each connection can add up.

I agree that a bad connection should be your first check. Could also be that you got a bad battery. Have you checked the voltage at the battery with a multimeter?

Back