• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Owners of Soft 8's, quick question...

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Been looking for new wheels and after doing some research, I've decided to go with Soft 8's. At this point, I have 30x9.5-15 Laredo tires and wanted to get 15x8 soft 8's but I didn't know if the tires will fit correctly on a 8in rim, this will be temporary while working on the lift. Do you think I'll have a problem with this?

The lift is going to be 2.5" - 3" BB and was thinking about going with a 31x10.50 tire. Would I have to worry about rubbing with a 4" backspace?

For those running the same lift and using Soft 8's could you post your set up? Would also like to know your backspace and tire size.

Thanks you much...

You should be more than ok with that setup. You can put that tire on that rim with no problems. I wouldn't air them down at all tho.

10.50s should not rub on anything with 4" backspacing.

No they don't rub, yes they work fine. HOWEVER! If you have sagging springs I would suggest a budget boost. I say this because the wheel is no longer in the wheel well, which puts it directly below the flare. So after every bump and pothole, the tire hits the flare. Burning the platic, as well as knocking the flare out of the bracket - which sucks. I threw in some spacers and new packs and everything's kosher.

Just don't get chrome! I have a set that rusted in 4 months despite lots of TLC and I can't even get Cragar to answer phone calls or emails! Go black!

You'll be fine. If you end up closer to 2" than 3" of lift you may find that you want to trim a little bit to keep from rubbing.

asatxj said:
Just don't get chrome! I have a set that rusted in 4 months despite lots of TLC and I can't even get Cragar to answer phone calls or emails! Go black!

Agreed, once you go black you never go back!!! Or...at least that's what I hear...:eyes:

No chome, was looking for black. Budget Boost or wheels??? It's tough being on a tight budget.

I also have a cracked exhaust manifold, one more thing that I have to work one before doing anything else.. When will it stop, I can't seem to move forward with any mod..:(

Now it's, do I weld the crack or get an aftermarket manifold? I've seen them on ebay for about $59 but not sure about the quality.. I'll stop now and start a new post on that....

Thanks for your feedback.

I hated my 8 inch wide wheels with my 31X10.50's. Everytime i would trail ride i would get mud and sticks stuck in the bead and it would let the air out. If you dont do much serious riding it may be ok but it sure is aggrivating having to pop the bead on the tire, clean out the bead and put it back on after every trip. Air pressure didnt matter either cuz it would do the same thing if i was running 15 lbs or 35 lbs. Here's a pic of me at a competition bending the hell outta the inside of the rim and getting an instant flat (tire had close to 40 lbs of air in it), and im not saying it's the wheels fault, but a wider tire or narrower rim wouldnt have done this.

n12703603_33235467_8416.jpg

So in your experience, the tire wasn't much wider than the rim causing your issues. So perhaps 15x7 rim with 31x10.50 might have given you better results? On a 15x8 rim, which tire would be wider(bulge out more) and fit well, maybe 31x11.50?

Thanks..

For 31x10.5 I would also suggest a 15x7 rim. A good rule of thumb for wheeling is to try and keep the rim 2/3 of the width of the tire. IE. For a 33x12.5 you would want an 8 inch rim since that's 2/3 of 12, likewise for a 10.5 wide tire a 7 inch rim would be preferred. The smaller rim width will help the tire stay on the bead at lower air pressures.

Oh yea I forgot, The tires are a pain to mount. At least mine were. The tire almost seems to be too skinny, so you have to push and work it until the bead sets. Heres a pic of what I was talking about earlier, with the sagging rear.

DSC01893.jpg

Back