• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring makeover

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am retiring the XJ as the daily driver since I drive 40-45 miles round trip daily for work. It's got 220K on the clock. When I'm daily driving the XJ I never have a chance to spend more than a broken up weekend (other chores). So, I'm putting it up on blocks for the next month to give the XJ a makeover. I get home from work at 2 and have afternoons to do projects, but I don't want to have to have it all back together for tomorrow.

Finish the trans. cooler / temp gauge project.
Drain, filter, gasket, dipstick o-ring for trans.

Clean up leaks - not bad but I'm going for dry.
RMS - last one I did was almost 100K ago and it looks a bit gooey up in between the bell housing and engine (smal spots on driveway). I know more now and can do it in a day.
Oil pump - it's time.
Pan gasket - likewise - rubber one piece - last one was 4 pc. cork - leaks (seeps) a bit.
Timing cover (should I replace the timing chain while I'm in there?)
V.C. gasket - rubber.
Oil Filter Adapter o-rings

Full Tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ICM and coil.
Oil change with bigger filter and Castrol full-syn 10-30 (I've run this for 50K) or Purple?
Both pumpkins (Red-Line)
T/C - done 3K ago (Dex III)

Water pump
Fan clutch
Flush, fill cooling
97+ elec, fan
Hoses & Serp belt
195 t-stat

Add an S-10 long leaf to my pack and ditch the overload leaf.
Longer coils (ZJ V-8's?) in front & ditch the spacers.
New longer bump stops.

Sensors & Electric. :dunno:
CPS - Replace in my shop or just buy a spare and eventually replace on trail or highway?
TPS - Same question?
MAP - Ditto?
Coolant temp sender
Coolant Temp Sensor
O-2 (just the 1)
Batt cables & grounds

I know it's a long list but this is without doing ANY internal engine work. The XJ runs & rides great now but I jsut want top know that all this was done and I have the time AND the money now. Come summertime I want the Jeep to be on the road and in the woods and not on ramps or jack stands when I want to go.

As far as maintenance, I see no reason for replacing the tps or cps if running and shifting well. O2 sensor o.k. to replace if you think it needs it or for good mileadge.
Always good to have spares on the trail.
Good luck with the 1 peice oil pan gasket. I'm sure it can be done but I had a hard time getting the rear to seal up properly.
I like the idea of making sure everything's good to go for the summer. I have some fluid leakage problems of my own that need attention!
If the timing chain has never been changed it's a good time while everything is torn apart in the garage.
What year?:repair:

I thought it was a renix. Cool, people bash on them alot but they are still plentiful and cheap!
If it shifts well, don't touch the TPS. It's the acquilles heal for sure! If you need to replace get it from the dealer it should only cost about $20. The problem is when you install they need to be adjusted and it's kinda "dealer only" type of adjustment. You can do the .7 volts thing or the percentage thing (google it) but according to my jeep tech friend it's a dealer only adjustment.
Good luck!

RENIX TPS easy to adjust. Minor and major adjustment depending on screw.
Don't understand why "Dealer only"

That's a good list for the make over
How are the motor mounts?

Another good thing to look at would be in the gas tank. 4" rubber fuel line, mine went bad nothing but threads left, and left me stranded

Last edited:
88xjlover said:
I thought it was a renix. Cool, people bash on them alot but they are still plentiful and cheap!
If it shifts well, don't touch the TPS. It's the acquilles heal for sure! If you need to replace get it from the dealer it should only cost about $20. The problem is when you install they need to be adjusted and it's kinda "dealer only" type of adjustment. You can do the .7 volts thing or the percentage thing (google it) but according to my jeep tech friend it's a dealer only adjustment.
Good luck!

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/TPS.html

Yea...but, I think I can do this. Besides part of my tranny makeover is that it isn't really shifting like it used to. Something more than a band-aid but not tearing into a tranny (which I can't do, yet), if it works, great. If not then I can have them adjust it. I think I'd probably get reamed:exclamati :exclamati at the dealer just to whip out a multi-meter and tweak a screw.

ParadiseXJ said:

Yea...but, I think I can do this. Besides part of my tranny makeover is that it isn't really shifting like it used to. Something more than a band-aid but not tearing into a tranny (which I can't do, yet), if it works, great. If not then I can have them adjust it. I think I'd probably get reamed:exclamati :exclamati at the dealer just to whip out a multi-meter and tweak a screw.
Basically that's what I was talking about. I am lucky to have a tech buddy. If it's shifting not so great test the TPS and change the fluid/filter in the tranny. I'm definitly not saying If the TPS needs adjusting or replacing don't replace it! The AW4 is pretty bullet proof and most problems are attributed to the TPS. If you wheel or tow with it then think about a seperate tranny cooler using the radiator and the cooler is the best way.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
RENIX TPS easy to adjust. Minor and major adjustment depending on screw.
Don't understand why "Dealer only"

That's a good list for the make over
How are the motor mounts?

Another good thing to look at would be in the gas tank. 4" rubber fuel line, mine went bad nothing but threads left, and left me stranded

The motor mounts (rubber) are less than a year old as is the the trans.

I replaced the 3/8" rubber lines to the filter and rubber return line. Is that what you mean or is there another part of the line you mean. I want to redo the disconnects on the fuel lines too. I can also see that the lines to the charcoal can are crackly. I've already relocated the vac. cannister to the firewall.

Done so far:
Trans cooler & gauge
All cooling system hoses
Vac lines (most)
Serp belt
Both Pumpkins - got a custom cover for the rear with a screw in plug (no more rubber plug) and skids on both.
New (to me) stock front skid.
All LCD dash lights.

My first trip to the trails is this weekend. After I change the oil I'm good to go. After cleaning the engine and underside it seems that my oil leakage issue is from the Valve cover cork gasket so I gotta get a Felpro rubber and get that done before Thursday. Running for about 300 miles after the cleaning, the RMS is dry as a bone so I may avoid that.

Back