• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stinger Bumpers

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Slow sermon this morning....

so I was wondering if the purpose of a stinger bumper is to prevent a pitch roll (over). The raised stinger part would act as a stopper and the center of gravity of the pitching vehicle would no pass the stingers point of contact with the ground?

or is it for looks only?

A stinger will help you in two ways, if you are in a small wrangler style and start to go over forward it should stop the roll that direction, if you're rolling sideways you will still roll but it's for more protection of the hood and engine area as it keeps the ground from caving in the front onto the engine.

Live and learn. I just thought they were for the cool factor. And to part the brush so you can see to move forward like a cow catcher on a steam locomotive.

I've wondered the same thing before, I just thought they were for looking cool and extreme and then found out they are extremely useful for alot of situations. Some people dont like the look though of such a beatsy bumper. personally I think it's way cool.

they are so you can tell how far away you park from the car in front of you at the mall.

slcpunk74 said:
they are so you can tell how far away you park from the car in front of you at the mall.
This is NAXJA not mallcrawler. I just keep going forward until the car in front of me moves then I back up about 6 inches. Works for me.

You could weld some fishing rod holders to it as well...

Talk about taking down your tent in a hurry...

Remind me not to park anywhere in OH and TX...:D Well at least not with anything other than the XJ...

He he wow the pull up bar is a good idea. I will now make a tube bender and make a bumper with a stinger. You think I'm joking but when you see a thread titled my pull up bar bumper you will laugh with my welder

i too have dinked the car in front of me then backed up 6". idiots were more than a foot into my space anyway. sucks for them. good info about the stinger though. i thought it was more for brush/ other things than stability

The stinger hoop can also be used as a hold down of sorts. When going up a steep hill instead of pulling winch cable can just throw a tow strap around the top of the hoop and have a few people hold on to keep pressure on the tires.

I've actually seen a wrangler with stingers front and rear. The Rusty's stinger bumper is way overkill, but found that they are pretty useful if you descend steep hills or ascend steep hills.

The stinger bars are generally not reinforced to the point you could use it to pull or be pulled, they are generally lighter weight tube than if you were fabbing a bumper out of tube and I have seen where they will bend and break

Back