• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj body onto a zj frame

85xjguy

NAXJA Forum User
is it poss. to swap the body instead of swap the 4.0l into the 85xj.cause the xj has the 2.5l and its so lacking power.just wondering if anyone has done it.

:lecture:

both jeep are unibody contruction, not possible without unimaginable amounts of fabrication.

Can't be done without building a rame for one of them. They are both unibody structure type of frame. In other words the body is the frame.

This would be so much more complicated than doing the motor swap...if it were even possible, which its not, unless you just do a tube frame...:)

yeah i was thinking of seperating it from the unibody and taking the cab and making some kinda plates or something to get it on to the other.the just my toys and i got time and my dads a cnc machinest so i have access to steel and a tig an mig. i think i could get it on there with some tube frame tied into the mix.the benfit its its different and ill have the 4.0 and coild in back.its just a thought.something todo

Like said before it's really not possible... I mean it would be quite rediculas to even start the project. You'd basically be pasting the front clip onto the XJ... It would be so much easier to just swap the engine. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a 4.0L XJ.

If you want the coil sprung rear, there's many kits to convert the XJ, or you can fab your own brackets, mounts, and arms and do it yourself. While you're at it, do the whole thing with coil-overs, 4 link rear, 3 link front, and stroker and you'll still be ahead in time, dollars, frustration, and safety...

BlackSport96 said:
If you want the coil sprung rear, there's many kits to convert the XJ, or you can fab your own brackets, mounts, and arms and do it yourself. While you're at it, do the whole thing with coil-overs, 4 link rear, 3 link front, and stroker and you'll still be ahead in time, dollars, frustration, and safety...

He wants to swap the body just to make an engine swap easier.

Why don't you just build the ZJ instead...?

its not to just make it easier on the swap i just read its hard not sure.and the zj i got has no title so i can do what ever with it and i just bought the 85 xj for 350 with a blown motor and its got a straight body with good 31" tires and a 3" lift.it was a good deal.im just trying to do something different and keep myself busy.ill just swap the motor in the xj and the zj will get a new body(tubed) nice but that will be just a trailer mud toy.

The 4.0 won,t fit in the pre 87,s the engine bay is too short.But you could just lengthen the sheet metal when you build the frame.

Wayne

lowrange2 said:
rediculas

Normally I let this stuff slide. But every once and a while I come across a word that is so botched, I have to single it out. And this one is just ridiculous....................
happyfinger.gif

91 Jeep Project said:
Normally I let this stuff slide. But every once and a while I come across a word that is so botched, I have to single it out. And this one is just ridiculous....................
happyfinger.gif

Lol... I'm a whorable speeller.

the zj is like a farm toy with no title its a toy.and the xj is my new toy and i seen they came with a 2.5l td motor.is this a easy swap to do.

old_man stuffed a I-6 in to his '85, I don't remember what he said he changed to do it. I do remember it involved sheet metal work in the engine bay.

If you send him a PM, I'm sure he'll be glad to give details.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=1605

I don't know I've never done it. Apparently, the engine won't fit. Why don't you just bolt a 2.5 back in there.

I'm sure with a little effort you could acquire a title for the ZJ.

Back