• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm problems

desertracer

NAXJA Forum User
I recently changed my long arm setup to the "y" type setup and am having troubles with too much stress on the mounts. A few weeks back I broke one of the lower control arm mounts clean off the axle, then after a cleghorn run last weekend one of the upper mounts bent...

I know most long arm kits used to come with only one upper arm because of this, but it seems they've all gone to using two upper arms. I don't really like the idea of running one upper arm, but what else can I do? Anyone ever had this problem? Any ideas for a solution?

When you say "y-type" setup, are you referring to T&T Customs Y-link? I know some people have been running this system with only one upper link attached. Supposed to help with the binding which can cause the extra stress on the mounts. I've not heard any complaints of running a 3 link vs 4 link. Most of the guys really like it.

are you using poly or stock rubber mounts on the axle end?

If you're SET on running both uppers ,depending on what kind of cross member you built, then I would say get rid of the current upper arms and build 2 full length uppers. A full 4 link with flex joints would greatly reduce stress.

or

You could just remove the passenger upper and be done.

ROBZ95Xj said:
are you using poly or stock rubber mounts on the axle end?

They are poly. The first thing I thought of was to put rubber in there so there is more give. That will be the first thing I do if I keep both uppers.

desertracer said:
They are poly. The first thing I thought of was to put rubber in there so there is more give. That will be the first thing I do if I keep both uppers.
Yeah,thats the problem,you need rubber everywhere but at the frame(use a flex joint there).

RK uses a flex joint on the upper axle mount. you could prchace some from them and they would help alot.

RK%20longarm%20axle%20joint.JPG

If he's going to run 2 upper links,that will just make things worse!

I have the RE kit and beat on it hard (ask anyone) and have never had this problem. I don't have poly mounts though. Try replacing with rubber. If that doesn't work, we can meet up somewhere (I run Cleghorn regularly) and see if we see anything majorly different between my RE kit and your homebrew.

box in the front of that mount and iff needed rustys has a 25 dollar brace that ties into that mount... that should help

So change to rubber and beef it up? I'll try that and see what happens.

My buddy at work has the RE kit and I've compared it to mine. They are pretty much the same. He hasn't had any troubles either. I think the poly bushings really are the culprit.

cablesmurf said:
I'm not arguing that point, just wondering why?

Because its not flexibility that is needed at the upper axle mount. The upper arm only twists a little bit. It pushes forward and backward when the axle articulates, which is what causes all the stress. Rubber bushings are soft enough to allow it to do that. Make sense?

Ive got the currie Johnny joint upper mount kit and have had no issues at all... When I had the stock rubber upper bushings it tore the right mount off the axle tube.. If your going to use rubber on the axle, better brace the mount.. Its only a band aid for now till you truely 4 link it..

desertracer said:
I recently changed my long arm setup to the "y" type setup and am having troubles with too much stress on the mounts. A few weeks back I broke one of the lower control arm mounts clean off the axle, then after a cleghorn run last weekend one of the upper mounts bent...

I know most long arm kits used to come with only one upper arm because of this, but it seems they've all gone to using two upper arms. I don't really like the idea of running one upper arm, but what else can I do? Anyone ever had this problem? Any ideas for a solution?

cutoff the old axle mounts and order a new 1/4" thick mounts form ballistic

and rubber bushings on the axle end are a must

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Lower-axle-link-brackets_p_24-1397.html

axletubezero3.jpg

Back