• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack Welded to Rain Gutter

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Coming home from Home Depot yesterday, had about 15 bundles of snap in laminated flooring, since the jeep was full with the kids and wife and the cargo area now has a drawer cabinet, flooring had to go on the roof. Even spread evenly across the width of the roof the factory bars were no good, no surprise there. I made it with 3 bundles across sideways and the rest lengthways across those three.
My question is has anyone welded a roof rack to the rain gutter? I'm curious. I'd like the look of a nice large tube(maybe 13/4" or 2") rack. I have searched and theres one thread on here I like but not welded to the roof. I think this way it could also act as an exocage for the roof line that eventually could be tied in to the rails and bumpers.
I thought welding to the rain gutter would be easiest as lots of people have removed rockers and welded square tube to that metal. I also have considered a design, forgive me, similar to the new fj toys, where the 2" tube is welded to plates that are fastened to the roof at appropriate structural areas. But I like the welded rain gutter idea.
Anyone have any pics if they've done this?
I would appreciate some input on this.

You can just get a better roof rack. There are aftermarket racks that bolt to either the factory roof rails or the pinch seam/rain gutter. I'd much prefer to bolt/clamp a good rack to the gutters than weld to them.

When I had a roof rack, it was attached to the facory roof rack rails, and I added angle iron on the ends of the rack cross bars as skids to protect the roof from trees and rocks. It was strong enough and worked fine for everything except when I rolled it. :)

standard.jpg

Back