• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new tie rod, fender trimming and budget bumpstops

shaggy4x

NAXJA Forum User
So, after our last Cleghorn run I needed a new tie rod (don't ask). Also, I had the front tires into the fenders enough to tweak the sheet metal and tear up my tires a little. I picked up a used tie rod for free (thanks E), took the hack saw to the front end and fabbed up some bumpstops for the cost of a couple of grade 8 bolts.

check it out -

Tacos anyone?

S7001416.jpg

victims of the saw

S7001417.jpg

bumpstops on the cheap

S7001415.jpg

installed

S7001421.jpg

After

S7001433.jpg

now you need drop brackets for the control arms to get your front axle recentered :)

djblade311 said:
now you need drop brackets for the control arms to get your front axle recentered :)

Just needs to relocate the stock track bar over 5/16".

Andy Steiner said:
Just needs to relocate the stock track bar over 5/16".
he means centered in the wheel well, lifting pulls it back.

looks good! what did you use for the bumpstop material?

GrimmJeeper said:
he means centered in the wheel well, lifting pulls it back.

looks good! what did you use for the bumpstop material?

Nah,

don't want to move the axle, I shouldn't have anymore issues now that I hacked off all the stuff.

I got some conveyor belt material from work and cut out a bunch of pieces with a hole saw (the one you use to put a door knob in). It's pretty tough stuff. All I had to buy was the bolts. A lot less than the $25 - $40 for bumpstops. I have some left over I you want to try it. Let me know.

4.5 inches of lift.

Back