• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble (already did a search)

LiamN

NAXJA Forum User
I get a nasty DW when i hit bumps, at anything over 30.
here's whats broken, tell me what to replace first.

the first thing that should have been trashed is the RC 4.5" lift i put in..
next:
Tire shakes w/ rotor at 12 and 9 when off the ground; hubs?
tie-rod took a whack infront of the pumpkin
i can twist the tie-rod forwards and backwards
steering wheel is cocked to the left, at 10 o'clock in order to drive straight
track-bar is mounted on a bracket under the axle. doesn't pull the track-bar in perfect alignment?

What should i replace first?
What cost-effective things could i do immediately?
Is there a better tie-rod kit for the price, or should i stay away from it all together?
what about doing the 1/4"-wall-DOM-tubing-w/-7/8"-reamed-TRE's tie rod set up?
one last: where can i find those dacron bushings i've read about for the tierod..

thanks in advance. you guys are always great.
-liam

First, go order a simply steering set-up. Rugged Ridge for example. Seems like decent stuff. That will take care of worn TREs as well as the bent Tie rod. When new stock TREs and Tierod would cost you close the same. Cost effective.

Check your ball joints. Find out when the wheel isn't staying put. Check the hub.

Get an alignment after everything is tight.

Good Luck

First of all... your serious... right?

Trash the 4.5" lift... why?

Tie-rods will twist when you grab the tie-rod and twist it. Are the boots torn? is there any play lifting up/down at the TRE? Or play when pushing straight forward and back? If so, they the TRE's need to be replaced. Replace the Tie-rod with a junk yard replacement. Get a T-rod from a ZJ (grand Cherokee) for something a little stronger.

The track bar...
Have someone sit in the the driver's seat and turn the ignition switch to unlock the steering wheel (don't start it), while you get under the front and watch the track-bar end at the frame on the driver's side. If it pops, or you see the tre slide back and forth in the mount, tighten the castle nut, and replace the old cotter pin with a new one.

Make sure the track bar isn't loose at the axle end too.

track-bar should be in line with the drag link. (steering box to tie-rod)

do you have an adj. or extended length track-bar with the 4.5" lift, or is it the stock one. Replace the stock one with adj. or longer one if you haven't

9 to 12;
sounds like a ball joint is bad or the unit bearing (hub) is shot. Look to see where you have movement when you 9 to 12 twist.

Get an alignment after you get all the other stuff straightened out.

I would definately start by losing the trackbar drop bracket and get a RE HD trackbar/bracket and trackbar brace.

Back