• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed B&M Super cooler and Trans Temp Gauge with dual sending units

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished up the install of a B&M super cooler with trans temp gauge with dual sending units on a toggle swich to moniter the trans temp going in to the trans and the fluid coming out of the trans. I will post up pics and results of tempeture. Keep posted!

04-15-08_1343.jpg

04-15-08_1342.jpg

04-15-08_1340.jpg

04-15-08_1341.jpg

You can see the temp difference, before and after. Not to drastic. I have the cooler running as follows....Tranny--->radiator--->cooler--->Tranny
This was normal driving/traffic after about 20 minutes... About 50 degree weather.
I have heard issues of overcooling the Tranny. This was the way B&M said to install it. I imagine in the summer while I tow my boat I will get higher readings. If not I guess I will try installing the cooler before the radiator.

The gauge you can actually see very well sitting in the drivers seat. I just ran a toggle switch to switch back and forth from the sending units. Gauge was easy to wire. I ran the power off my radio (amp wire or switched power) also ran the light off the dimmer radio wire. Mounting the gauge by the shift lever is convient with the radio wire being within reason.

Last edited:
thats a nice setup. When I had my F250 with the weak and vunerable E4OD i used a digital meter that would switch back and forth between senders every few seconds and if one was out of the ranges I plugged in it would light up and get my attention. I ran it in a pillar pod that I also had my EGT's, Boost and water temp. You can never have to many gauges.

Pretty cool, never thought of doing the 2 senders with a switch. I've also been seeing very low trans temps from the line coming out of the trans. Don't wanna over cool the trans, but its been rather cool lately, so I'm sure once it warms up, it'll be better. I've never seen temps over 140 since I installed the cooler.

sunburned said:
Pretty cool, never thought of doing the 2 senders with a switch. I've also been seeing very low trans temps from the line coming out of the trans. Don't wanna over cool the trans, but its been rather cool lately, so I'm sure once it warms up, it'll be better. I've never seen temps over 140 since I installed the cooler.
Thanks. Yeah the temp reading in the pic is the highest it has ever been. I already had to replace one sending unit, because these salty Michigan roads did work on it and would not give me an accurate reading.

Did you add a ground wire for the sensors (assuming you tapped into the metal tranny lines)?

99xjclassic said:
No ground wire. They are in-line with the metal lines..

I did the same, but I guess I didn't tighten one fitting enough because its constantly got a little drop of fluid on it. :smsoap:

sunburned said:
I did the same, but I guess I didn't tighten one fitting enough because its constantly got a little drop of fluid on it. :smsoap:
Those little boogers are a PITA... I chased down a leak several times before I got it right.

Soo, did you run a line from the second sending unit to the toggle, then a line from the toggle to the same screw that the first sending unit is on on the gauge?? Or is it basically a 3-prong switch where you're running each sending unit to the switch, then the third line is to power the switch?

Last edited:
I'm curious, would it be wise to wrap the sending unit in some sort of heat wrap? I ask because depending on where you mount the sending unit wouldn't it read hot from the engine and other misc. items? Mine runs around 140-160 going down the road, but when crawling around it can get up around 220-230(no air flow to keep heat from sending unit) and if the sending unit gets wet it immediatley cools down.
PS. My sending unit is mounted right by the starter and side of the block....

x2 on the wiring on the sending units with the toggle

Back