• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint Girdel

FordGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever used a U-Joint Girdle on the yokes instead of the standard U-Bolts. It seams you see a lot of people knock out U-joints hitting rocks and the Racing Girdles would seem to way stronger. Maybe a clearance issue?

I haven't seen one.....what are they?

Goatman said:
I haven't seen one.....what are they?

I have seen it a few times on Trophy Trucks, and a lot on Race cars like Nascar. If you have a Jegs catalog or one like it, look in the Diff section. Let me know. I think it could be a killer idea for Jeeps.

My guess is that they are simply not well enough known to become popular, especially since it is kinda specialized-not much call for it on mud-boggers or mall-crawlers.

Those don't look like they would last long in the rocks seeing as they are made from aluminum. Plus they're $28 compared to some Spicer U bolt straps that are about $7.
What do those do that a standard u bolt style strap does not?

Jes said:
Those don't look like they would last long in the rocks seeing as they are made from aluminum. Plus they're $28 compared to some Spicier U bolt straps that are about $7.
What do those do that a standard u bolt style strap does not?

I don't know if they would be better, that is why I posted, but I think there is a lot more strength there with a billet cap, and when I first saw them on a 3/4 million dollar Trophy Truck it got my attn. I just thought they were custom made until I saw them in a catalog.

I use to have a set in my bag of spares thought it would be a good idea and forgot about them till I read this. my only concern is the extra beef on them getting in the way of articulation of the joint.

Gerr said:
I use to have a set in my bag of spares thought it would be a good idea and forgot about them till I read this. my only concern is the extra beef on them getting in the way of articulation of the joint.

That is what I was trying to figure out, It looks like the u-joint cap sits pretty high in the girdle, and then I thought if they could use it in a 35 inch wheel travel race car, it should work? Maybe not but you sure would never knock out the u-joint!

FordGuy said:
That is what I was trying to figure out, It looks like the u-joint cap sits pretty high in the girdle, and then I thought if they could use it in a 35 inch wheel travel race car, it should work? Maybe not but you sure would never knock out the u-joint!
yeah but look at how long of a drive shaft they use in those the angles are nothing like in a xj. heck in my yj I bearly can clear the caps at full droop in the front or rear

I often wondered about using a stock yoke and drilling out the holes to accept the ubolt straps.

Then somebody told me it would be weaker overall than the origional straps.

I was told if you want to go to ubolts the best bet is to buy yokes made specifically for ubolts instead of the straps.

Blaine B. said:
I often wondered about using a stock yoke and drilling out the holes to accept the ubolt straps.

Then somebody told me it would be weaker overall than the origional straps.

I was told if you want to go to ubolts the best bet is to buy yokes made specifically for ubolts instead of the straps.
I drilled my yoke out to accept the ubolts after breaking a couple of the original straps and and I haven't had a problem since.

I have my yoke drilled out on my 8.25 and am using ford u-bolts out of the help isle at advanced auto. I havent had a problem yet either. I was stretching a set of factory straps atleast once a month. The only thing is they are a booger to get tightened unless you clearance your yoke alittle.

Here is a link for a company that sells a yoke for the 8.25 that is designed for u-bolts.

http://justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2466

Back