• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque conv. not locking up. gages read zero.

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
99 cherokee sport auto aw4. Hi once again...I've post numerous threads and still have not figured out my problem. My gages stoped working and my torque converter doesn't lock up in drive. On my odometer it reads "NO BUS". I have to start out in first/second gear and manualy shift into 3rd then drive. Sometimes while I'm driving everything will start to work fine but then seconds later it goes back to the way it was. I replaced the ckp sensor, cam shaft position sensor, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, cleaned a lot of the wire connections, checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash, flushed the trans fluid and added lucas. The fluid has all ways been maintained. I have a dtc wich reads p1686..I think, I should have wrote it down. Can anyone please help me. Thank you very much.

Have you checked and cleaned the connections for the instrument cluster? A bad connection will give you a NO BUS and may be the cause of your other symptoms. There is a TSB and a repair kit for a faulty cluster connector. I would just try dissembling and cleaning it first.

Here is link - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1339049 -. It is for a Wrangler but the steps for a Cherokee are similar

replacing the instrument cluster plug is worth a try, but that will not cause the trans issues. there may be a bus comunication error between the transmssion contol module and PCM, or from some of the trans sensors. Ths could be anything from a cut, chafed, or pinched wire to a corroded connector, or even a loose ground wire.

Thunder11265 said:
replacing the instrument cluster plug is worth a try, but that will not cause the trans issues. there may be a bus comunication error between the transmssion contol module and PCM, or from some of the trans sensors. Ths could be anything from a cut, chafed, or pinched wire to a corroded connector, or even a loose ground wire.

Pull the instrument cluster and clean your contacts. Then do what has already been said, it is a common problem with your year. TSB calls for lithieum grease or contact lube. This WILL give you trans troubles. Your trans speed pickup reads RPM and tell the Jeep when to shift.

Back