• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Taurus fan connector quick question

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a Ford Taurus fan yesterday, and I have a simple question.

There are 3 wires going to the plug, on one side is a green, in the middle is yellow, and on the other side is black.

I would imagine black is ground, but you never know. Does anyone know which wires are for which speed/ground? Thanks!

Black is ground.

Touch the other ones (one at a time) to the battery and you'll quickly see what is what. Most of the time, the high speed wire is a larger gauge than the low speed wire.

Sorry I'm not sure off hand which is which. I've done 5 Taurus fans, and remember seeing like 3 different sets of colors for the wires.

Yeah black is definitely ground. I ran both settings and it seeems like the yellow (middle) is high speed. There's not a huge difference though.

It also turns out the yellow has a circuit breaker built in. I'm thinking that's the high speed.

Edit, you don't remember the wire colors, thats understandable, but do you remember where the high speed was located? IE the middle wire?

Like I said, there's really not a huge difference between the two, at least not to my ears.

Last edited:
I can check my YJ tomorrow and see if you still need it. Its the only Jeep I've got right now that still has the Taurus fan on it.

I might not have used the connector on that one though... it took me a few fan installs to start pulling the connectors out of the cars too.

Man, I never realized how fast this modified section moves... maybe send me a PM tomorrow afternoon if I haven't replied again yet.

My Taurus has the high speed connected to the brown with yellow stripe on the fan side of the plug and a blue wire on the other original harness. There is a massive difference between the two speeds! The blue wire is clearly bigger and is the middle wire.

There was a pretty good article in the latest Jrations magazine that shows an in-depth install of a Mercury Contour dual electric fan, as well as the Taurus fan. It shows the wiring diagram, as well as a pulse-width modulated fan controller. It's a very good article, and I would suggest you check it out. That PWM controller cut the fan's operating amps considerably versus just using a switch to control it. Startup with a Taurus fan can be in the 100 amp range, but with a soft-start PWM controller, it can be knocked down to around 30 amps, and operating amps could be knocked down to as little as 5 amps. That's something to think about if your alternator is already close to being maxed on accessories.

Georgia Mike said:
There was a pretty good article in the latest Jrations magazine that shows an in-depth install of a Mercury Contour dual electric fan, as well as the Taurus fan. It shows the wiring diagram, as well as a pulse-width modulated fan controller. It's a very good article, and I would suggest you check it out. That PWM controller cut the fan's operating amps considerably versus just using a switch to control it. Startup with a Taurus fan can be in the 100 amp range, but with a soft-start PWM controller, it can be knocked down to around 30 amps, and operating amps could be knocked down to as little as 5 amps. That's something to think about if your alternator is already close to being maxed on accessories.
Sorry, I was wrong. It's the Contour SVT dual fan that can spike in the 100 amp range on startup, not the Taurus fan. The Taurus fan is around 60-70 amps at startup.

There's a good article on Carcraft here:
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0707_high_performance_cooling_system/index.html

that talks about cooling system design (interesting by itself) but includes a description of a Pulse-Width Modulated controller by a Spal.

Looks like the controller by itself is $63 from at least one place.

There's other cool fan stuff under the "fans brackets & shrouds" link on the left.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/4583,370_Spal-Fan-Controller.html

The instruction manual for the SPAL fan says multiple fans can be controlled using a SPAL Fan Relay harness, available separately. Shows wiring diagrams as well.

http://www.dewitts.com/download/Fan-PWM.pdf

Back