• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ flare attachment

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Anyone every use "nutserts" to attach TJ flares? They are like rivets, however, have threads in them to attach screw/bolt. That way I don't have to get to the back side.
Or, I've heard of using "snaps" to attach TJ flares. Anyone ever seen that??? I like that idea, because there will be no metal damage when they get ripped off, and can be put back on easily.
I am concerned about attaching them too securely, because I'm sure they will get ripped off, and I'd like to avoid metal damage, and would prefer to not have to go to bigger bolts when the smaller one's get ripped out of their holes!
Thanks for the input!

I fail to see where using rivets would allow for anymore "give" when hitting up against a rock or tree. They would, however, be a much bigger PITA to install. Most I've seen are attached via screws or short bolts/nuts/washers. I did the latter and while they were on, were fine. I took them off b/c I really didn't care for the look. I've seen one guy on here use zip ties for reasons similar to yours. Snaps? Sounds like the royal suck to me.

Were you the zip tie guy?

riverfever said:
I fail to see where using rivets would allow for anymore "give" when hitting up against a rock or tree. They would, however, be a much bigger PITA to install. Most I've seen are attached via screws or short bolts/nuts/washers. I did the latter and while they were on, were fine. I took them off b/c I really didn't care for the look. I've seen one guy on here use zip ties for reasons similar to yours. Snaps? Sounds like the royal suck to me.
The nutserts are not for more give. That seemed easier, since I don't need to get to the other side for a nut, if using bolts. I'm not sure of the "sheet metal screw" thing. Not sure that won't make more of a problem when they get ripped out. As for the snaps, not sure it'll hold on at 75mph...but would make reinstall a breeze. I don't think they'll sit flush though either. That would suck.
How's the Zip tie thing working out??
This hasn't been too urgent, until yesterday. Seems I destroyed one of my little MTR's on the road, and had a plug in another. So I got a little bigger MTR, and not will need some more clearance!:viking:
Thanks for the input

I am the Zip Tie Guy!! Yess...I finally earned a reputation on NAXJA!

To be honest, the zip ties have worked great so far. A lot of people gave me grief and thought it was stupid, but it's worked fine. From real up close you can see small gaps, but stand back and look at it, it's fine. I finally got them tightened nice and snug, and they look and hold just fine. I kinda slammed into a tree a few weeks ago, left a big dent in my door, but no damage to the flares. Not loose or ripped at all. As you long as you drill the holes in the right place, you're good. I did a writeup a while ago, but i deleted the pictures. But you can check out my pics at photobucket, they just don't line up with the writeup, that's all.

One more thing to add, I trimmed my fenders several months before doing the TJ flares. I had also installed a snorkel. When I trimmed I cut up pretty high, and it left little room for my snorkel. When I got around to doing the flares, it was hard to line them up well since i had to move them low to avoid the snorkel, but there wasn't much fender left to use. So mine dont' line up great, but if you haven't trimmed, or don't have a snorkel it should be a lot easier.

Thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77062&highlight=TJ+Flare+Install+Writeup

Pics:
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/ckh550/

Chris

I just used bolts/nuts on mine, If somthing is going to rip your TJ flare off it was going to rip off anything you have as a flare also.

I am not against zip ties, they just where not for me.

Using nutserts means using one less tool to remove them(second wrench for nut), but will cause a slight gap between flare and fender due to thickness of nutsert head.

Nutserts will leave a gap between flare and fender due to the thickness of the nutsert head, just a word of advice.

Back