• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need GPS savvy folks with thier own GPS units

KarlVP

NAXJA Forum User
We are working on a project at Reiter Trails with the DNR.

Need some folks that are GPS savvy with thier own GPS units, and ability to download the data to a laptop computer we will have on site.

Looking for "teams" of 2 rigs per unit, and knowledge of the Reiter Trails area. (either basic knowledge, or extensive, we can pair you up with someone who knows the area)

April 19th. 9AM main parking area.

Please RSVP here via PM or e-mail me at [email protected] Please no "maybes" if you can't make it or have schedule conflicts, don't bother. We need to get this done so the DNR can work on the Land Survey for Reiter.

Thanks.

I bet having one computer to download everyone's individual data will be a nightmare.

All the garmin units require garmin software identified by serial number and verified over the net. I don't know if the others are like that, but I bet there's some kind of proprietary software that has to be installed.

I have a newer Tom-Tom if that helps? Rig hasn't been proven yet, but should be by the 19th if you need me. My knowledge of Reiter is minimal to boot. Lemme know!

RedHeep said:
I bet having one computer to download everyone's individual data will be a nightmare.

All the garmin units require garmin software identified by serial number and verified over the net. I don't know if the others are like that, but I bet there's some kind of proprietary software that has to be installed.

All we need is the ability to download the raw data to a computer. We will then tag it with what unit it came from.

We may have some data that needs to be re-obtained but the DNR is planning for that.

The more the merrier.

I have a handheld unit as well as my laptop with an external GPS antenna and Topo. I don't know if my 31"s will make it on every trail there so maybe I can ride shotgun. Or someone can just stop by my house and pick up the Garmin.

Rich

Mc2KXJ said:
I have a handheld unit as well as my laptop with an external GPS antenna and Topo. I don't know if my 31"s will make it on every trail there so maybe I can ride shotgun. Or someone can just stop by my house and pick up the Garmin.

Rich

31s will get you a lot of places at reiter from what ive seen.

WaXJ_Skier said:
31s will get you a lot of places at reiter from what ive seen.

If your smart, atlteast half the trails at Reiter can be done in 31s. I've done every trail there in my old 33s.

Mc2KXJ said:

Rich

Rich you can ride with me when we figure out when this is going to be done.

-Alex

RedHeep said:

Not true. If you are running National Geographic Topo you can download the info from the GPSr to the Topo software on your PC/laptop.

Back