• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bfg all terraine k/o QUESTION

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
Frist off I dont know if this is the right place for my question, if not im sorry. Here it goes, I want to get the bgf all terraine k/o which will be under the RE 6130 that is waiting to go on. One of the things I would like to know is how much of a differance in gas mileage will I be getting. Im currently at about 16 to 17 city and highway. I was thinking about going with 31x10.5r15 but now im thinking more along the lines of 32x11.5r15 or 33x.10.5r15. What might my MPG be if I went twith the 32's or 33's? I have a 93 XJ 4.0I6 and its a 5 spd. Im not sure what gearing I have(might anyone know?)with no engine mods yet, but it will be getting a new rustys air tube K&N fileter and flowmaster exhaust and a rustys throtle body spacer pretty soon. thanks for the help and Id like to know what you guys and girls are getting if your running 31-33's thanks again tim

P.S I did try searching bfg and all terraine in here and the street perf. thred.

Well, Toker. I run 31" Trxus's, with a 5 spd and 4.56 gears. I can honestly say, I averaged 16-18 mpg on the last long freeway trip, loaded with gear and such.

You have 3.07 gears, with the 5spd, if they have never been changed. I ran those gears with the 31's and gas mileage and power was horrible. I get better gas mileage and power with the regear. Id say my MPG was around 13-15 with the 3.07 gears.

Its really up to you on tire size. What kind of wheelin' do you do or plan to do? You could run the 32" tire with 4.10 gears and be good on the street and still have the power off road. Read through some of the threads, for more definite answers on gearing choices, or read this thread, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46901&highlight=gearing .

Well toker, just remember, Toking and driving dont mix.

Its hard to say what kind of mileage you will get with a lift and bigger tires, but its safe to say it will be worse than what you are getting now. Re-gearing down the road will help some.....

12GaugeXJ said:
Well, Toker. I run 31" Trxus's, with a 5 spd and 4.56 gears. I can honestly say, I averaged 16-18 mpg on the last long freeway trip, loaded with gear and such.

You have 3.07 gears, with the 5spd, if they have never been changed. I ran those gears with the 31's and gas mileage and power was horrible. I get better gas mileage and power with the regear. Id say my MPG was around 13-15 with the 3.07 gears.

Its really up to you on tire size. What kind of wheelin' do you do or plan to do? You could run the 32" tire with 4.10 gears and be good on the street and still have the power off road. Read through some of the threads, for more definite answers on gearing choices, or read this thread, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46901&highlight=gearing .

Thanks for the help did you have any engine mods before you re-geared? and great thred thanks

P.S Would I be able to pull off 32's or 33'd with 3.07's if thats what I have and still be able to get anywhere off road or will I be red lineing to go anywhere?

12GaugeXJ said:

Thanks for the help did you have any engine mods before you re-geared? and great thred thanks

P.S Would I be able to pull off 32's or 33'd with 3.07's if thats what I have and still be able to get anywhere off road or will I be red lineing to go anywhere becaue I cant aford to re-gear right now and I dont wana buy a new set of tires before I have to. I want to spend the money one time and be set for a bit. thanks

xj_toker said:

P.S Would I be able to pull off 32's or 33'd with 3.07's if thats what I have and still be able to get anywhere off road or will I be red lineing to go anywhere becaue I cant aford to re-gear right now and I dont wana buy a new set of tires before I have to. I want to spend the money one time and be set for a bit. thanks

I have no engine mods, besides a drop in K+N air filter in the stock box.

You would be able to pull off 32 or 33" tires, but will be very sluggish on the road, and suffer from lack of power on the trail. I don't see how you will be red lining. Don't expect to see 5th gear on the freeway much at all, unless your doing 90mph or so(not really, but almost true). Use 4LO off road, that will help some. Keep an eye at the local junk yards for axles that have lower gear ratios(numerically higher), You could swap those in, and be set for a bit. Make sure the ratios match, or your TC will hate you. HTH some more. Just my opinion on things, that high gears and tall tires suck.

98XJ, AX15, 3:07's, Lt235 AT/KO's, 20mpg, OK off road in 4lo but not great. I put a set of 30's on there with canyon wheels, big difference and power sucked even more, the 30's went back on the TJ. I'd regear first but really it's a catch 22, if I was going to lift mine and do alot more off roading with it I'd not make any mods till I had the cash to do the whole thing at once, not with gas at $3+ per gallon...it's also rough on the clutch..

Back