• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What crossmember do i need?

HandBuiltXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting my 93 4.0 Power plant (engine, auto trans, t-case) into an 85 body, but the tranmission crossmember off of my 93 doesn't match up to the holes that are threaded on the 85 unibody rails... it seems what ever came on the 85 cherokee originally equipped with a 2.8L and auto matic with select-a-trac 4wheel, the crossmember was about 4-5 inches more forward that the one on my 93. Does anyone know what trans crossmember i need to match it up? I am about 48 hours from using 2x1 box steel and mounting it rearward like that.. I got to drop the trans 1" ne ways to keep the vibes under control with my 3.5" RE superflex lift.. Thank you in advance for you alls help..

john

Be advised that you might have a different DS angle with this custom setup and I would remind you to make sure to have the DS bolted up to the transfer case in the pre-mock up stage to get correct placement/angle for your new rear transmission/transfer case support holes-I swapped a Chevy 350 engine with the 700-R4 transmission for the ole tired 2.8 liter and simply threw away my original factory crossmember and like many l I used the same 2"X1" boxed steel for my custom application also-Stronger and more cost-effiecient IMHO.

frogmanjohn said:
I am putting my 93 4.0 Power plant (engine, auto trans, t-case) into an 85 body, but the tranmission crossmember off of my 93 doesn't match up to the holes that are threaded on the 85 unibody rails... it seems what ever came on the 85 cherokee originally equipped with a 2.8L and auto matic with select-a-trac 4wheel, the crossmember was about 4-5 inches more forward that the one on my 93. Does anyone know what trans crossmember i need to match it up? I am about 48 hours from using 2x1 box steel and mounting it rearward like that.. I got to drop the trans 1" ne ways to keep the vibes under control with my 3.5" RE superflex lift.. Thank you in advance for you alls help..

john
I am doing a similiar swap, 91 4.0/aw4/np231 into a 85 body that had 2.5L/manual 5spd/np207, I will be using the 91 crossmember and making new mounting locations by cutting access holes above the rail and mounting a plate inside with two nuts welded in the correct locations, the nuts will stick out and then be tacked to the outer unibody rail. hard to explain but I will post pics after I getr done. I am basically using the stock 91 locations for everything on the 85.

Skullvarian said:
I am doing a similiar swap, 91 4.0/aw4/np231 into a 85 body that had 2.5L/manual 5spd/np207, I will be using the 91 crossmember and making new mounting locations by cutting access holes above the rail and mounting a plate inside with two nuts welded in the correct locations, the nuts will stick out and then be tacked to the outer unibody rail. hard to explain but I will post pics after I getr done. I am basically using the stock 91 locations for everything on the 85.

putting the mount on for the t-case select lever on the driver side of the trans tunnel looks interesting too, got to get it just right so you can shift your t-case properly...

Back