• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd clutch problem

48MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86mj w/2.8 and a ax5.I just had the motor out and while it was out I relized it had a trany problem.I replaced it with a good one I had laying around ,also replaced the clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing.Clutch would not disingage.Replaced master cylinder and slave cylinder bled the system still no disingagement of the clutch I am at a loss as to whats wrong.Everything looks right,any ideas would be nice. THANK YOU

How is the clutch pedal? does it return or stay on the boards. Make sure that the slave link didn't slip past the fork when you put it back in.
are you sure that the fork is latched onto the pivot. Also if the friction plate is installed backwards onto the flywheel the center hub will interfere with the flywheel attaching bolts and not allow clutch disengagement. hth

Last edited:
The clutch pedal returns.The release fork apears to be in the right place,it spans clear across and if it's lined up on one side it should be lined up on the other side?The disk is installed right.This really has me scratching my head.

The clutch pedal returns.The release fork apears to be in the right place,it spans clear across and if it's lined up on one side it should be lined up on the other side?The disk is installed right.This really has me scratching my head.

Last edited:
Can the clutch release arm fall off the drivers side pivot and still be lined up on the side the slave cylinder operates?And can it be reinstalled with everything still together?

I think its possible. pull the slave and spacer back out and look around in there. Whats the possibility of you getting a bad pressure plate with the new kit?

Could be the throw of the pedal. I had somehting like this on my 84 one time. Ended up the pedal was slightly bent where the master attaches to it and it was not pressing the master far enough.

The throw on the pedal is off by about 1/8 inch because of getting bent once,but it has worked great for years.I pulled the spacer off and put the slave back on and tigtened it up till the clutch worked ,then took some measurements and made a rod that was longer.Now it works but I don't know what happened?Any more ideas would be helpfull as I still am wondering if this will hurt anything? THANK YOU

Back