• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Clearance Control Arm Mounts???

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
Would there be any disadvantages to mounting control arm brackets centered on the back of the axle rather than hanging down below? I am running a radius control arm anyways (TnT Y Link) They might receive a bit more force. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. My lower control arm brackets have seen some better days and I like this but there has to be a reason why its not a common practice.

DSC001211.jpg

Mine are located directly behind the axle with no problems. I’m running short arms and the UCA mounts were built longer to keep the distance between mounting points the same as stock.

no disadvantages from what i can see... it seems u gain a little clearance and are able to use the axle tubes as the contact point which is more rounded and stouter than the mounts... i guess you could even use link tabs and box them in and mount them how ever u want... i have been on rocks and trails and my control arm mounts just have the JKS skids on them and they have held up ok - it is my diff that gets most of the action... i think this route though looks clean and is a smart move

This is a common practice, just not from the factory. Both of mine are done with the LCA mounts even with the axle tube, and virtually every custom built rig is the same way.

Do you have enough adjustment left in the upper and lower Y Link arms for camber and caster adjustments??

Goatman said:
This is a common practice, just not from the factory. Both of mine are done with the LCA mounts even with the axle tube, and virtually every custom built rig is the same way.

Is the common practice around this to raise just the lowers or the uppers as well? If raising the lower mounts to be level with the axle, they'll be raised about 2.5" I think - isn't there any possible clearance issues with the uppers if they are raised 2.5" and one is at full flex?

gorman said:
Is the common practice around this to raise just the lowers or the uppers as well? If raising the lower mounts to be level with the axle, they'll be raised about 2.5" I think - isn't there any possible clearance issues with the uppers if they are raised 2.5" and one is at full flex?

Not at all. There is still a good amount of seperation at the axle, and also at the frame, so it's impossible for the arms to touch each other.

BOOTLEGGER said:
If you only raise the LCA mounts you may run into not being able to control pinion movement and that won't be good

Ford radius arms control pinion movement with no seperation at all. Controlling the axle torque is mostly a function of the strength of the joints. You'll put more stress on the upper arm bushings, since now only the uppers would control axle rotation, so those bushings could potentially wear out faster. Less seperation simply puts more stress on the joints, which isn't a problem if they're strong enough to handle it. On my D30 the lower arms were even with the tubes, as well as on my current D44 in the XJ.

Wrt the clearance question about raising the upper control arm mounts. I'm not concerned about the LCA and UCA touching as I know that would be impossible, but if one raised the upper mounts, isn't there something on the body or engine it might touch at full flex? Don't know how or when it happened, but on mine at some piont in time the right side upper control arm mount pinched my transmission oil cooler lines. I guess of one raises them 2.5" and bumpstop at least the same, one should be okay...

Back