• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm pregnant!!

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Well, actually its my wife who's pregnant, I just look pregnant...:D:D So, to go with the new job and new house, we're getting a new kid, which means a new vehicle (or two). We're lookin into AWD minivans or smaller but still 3 row SUVs for the wife. Leaning more towards the van for ease of loading and gas mileage. Not to mention initial cost. Since SUVs are the cool thing right now, they're way more money than vans. I'm thinkin an AWD Astro/Safari or AWD Caravan/T&C. Along with that, since the houses we're looking at are all on some rough desert roads, she has ok'd me to get an Enduro...:D I've been wanting one for gas mileage reasons and to play with on weekends. We'll be selling our Focus (anyone interested? 2000 LX Sedan...) and using that money towards the Enduro, allowing me to take the XJ off the road and make it the trail rig it so desperately wants to be. Then we'll finance the van. We're lookin used cause new is overrated :D

Get an old 4x4 camper Vanagon. I love my 2x4 but would like to make it all the way through wreckingball without winch help.

I used to have a chevy astrovan 4.3 AWD. I've even wheeled it @ stoddard valley a couple of times.

It was a good vehicle, very reliable. When it got older (it was a 96) maintenance got to be VERY EXPENSIVE. It never got great gas mileage.

What kinda mileage can be expected out of the Vanagons? This'll be my wife's vehicle so we're more worried with getting through soft sand on occasion...I took our Focus through with out much issue, other than scooping the tops off a few piles of sand with our rear bumper...My mom and I looked at one back in 94ish before moving cross-country and the lack of NVH isolation, not to mention weak motor killed our interest in that one. But me and my wife have somewhat less....sophisticated tastes now...She came from an 85 Nissan truck to a 96 Nissan truck to our current 2000 Focus. I went from 94 Tracker, to 92 Trooper (my taste of the "high life" :D), back to the Tracker, to a 90 Samurai, to my 96 XJ.

cal said:
I used to have a chevy astrovan 4.3 AWD. I've even wheeled it @ stoddard valley a couple of times.

It was a good vehicle, very reliable. When it got older (it was a 96) maintenance got to be VERY EXPENSIVE. It never got great gas mileage.
My mom and I had a 95 Safari, loved it, that's why I've been thinking of one of them.

Gratz Bro

Kids are great, probably the best thing I've ever accomplished. My Daughter (3) is a blast and loves the Jeeps. As soon as she turned 1 and was able to face forward she was a jeepin fool!! Congrats to you and your family! :thumbup:

Congrat's
Our son got married two weeks ago. Now we have two bathrooms again!

Before I got the first Cherokee I was also looking for something to haul stuff and be able to drive dirt / sand roads. I looked at the early Mazda MPV mini van. It was built with a rear wheel drive full frame and was available as a 4x4 with extra clearance. They probably aren't much bigger overall than our Jeeps and have a 3rd. seat.

Mike

Congrat's... your life will never be the same - That's a good thing:woohoo:

PhotographerMike said:
Congrat's
Our son got married two weeks ago. Now we have two bathrooms again!

Before I got the first Cherokee I was also looking for something to haul stuff and be able to drive dirt / sand roads. I looked at the early Mazda MPV mini van. It was built with a rear wheel drive full frame and was available as a 4x4 with extra clearance. They probably aren't much bigger overall than our Jeeps and have a 3rd. seat.

Mike
That's a good tip on the early MPVs, I imagine prices would be good now and it would be easy for her to drive, she likes the XJs size, but with the lift and lack of a third row, it just don't work so great for haulin a family of 5...:D
This'll be our third kid. My daughter loves the Jeep too, also 3 years old. Any time she sees a black Cherokee, she thinks its mine, even if we're in mine...The boy's a wuss, he gets nervous if the stroller is tipped back to go down stairs...I'm gonna have to work on him, he needs to grow up and be my wrenchin buddy. He's only 1.5 tho, so I got time. Emily might just get into helpin dada on the Jeep first. :D

BlackSport96 said:
That's a good tip on the early MPVs, I imagine prices would be good now and it would be easy for her to drive, she likes the XJs size, but with the lift and lack of a third row, it just don't work so great for haulin a family of 5...:D
This'll be our third kid. My daughter loves the Jeep too, also 3 years old. Any time she sees a black Cherokee, she thinks its mine, even if we're in mine...The boy's a wuss, he gets nervous if the stroller is tipped back to go down stairs...I'm gonna have to work on him, he needs to grow up and be my wrenchin buddy. He's only 1.5 tho, so I got time. Emily might just get into helpin dada on the Jeep first. :D

Get a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon! You can fit your family of 5 and go wheelin! Those things are going for like $34K!!!

BlackSport96 said:
Well, actually its my wife who's pregnant........

Congratulations Justin, that is awesome brother! I will pray for a healthy child, and mom.
:)

BlackSport96 said:
Well, actually its my wife who's pregnant,
Many Congratulations! Children are a blessing, and it's always fun to have one on the way. (Our seventh is due in mid July...)

Psalm 127:
3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

We're lookin into AWD minivans or smaller but still 3 row SUVs for the wife. Leaning more towards the van for ease of loading and gas mileage. Not to mention initial cost. Since SUVs are the cool thing right now, they're way more money than vans.
Yeah, I hear ya. We moved from a Saturn ((low 20s MPG?) loved that car...) to a Voyager ((18/20) not so much) to a Suburban ((12/19) we really hate giving this one up...) to a Econoline E-450 15 passenger (8.75/14). And unless we drop 40-50 grand, we're not gonna be offroading in a single vehicle any time soon.

That said, the 'burb is for sale ;-) '04 K1500 (4wd) LS, less than 40k on the clock. Ran mojave road (twice), Gold Mountain (replaced running boards after that one). $20k for red-letters. See: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939726 for details

--Hildy

Back