• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump, which vendor???

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I bought a power steering pump from Auto Zone and now it's leaking. Hoses and filter are new. I'm going to try and get refund....hoping, I know it has life-time warranty but I do not want to be changing it out every month....

For you guys that have had luck with re-manufactured pumps, where did you get it from? Napa, Advance Auto, Dealership... where? The stealership tell me reman...$175....New $275..

Not sure were to go to next.

Thanks...

Yeah Auto Zone is known for bad parts! I will not go there! I normally buy my reman parts at Advanced auto Parts. They are usually reasonable when it comes to prices and I have never had any trouble with the parts!

Changed it out this evening with another reman unit. Let's see how long this one lasts. While testing for leaks, I also wanted to track down the exhaust leak sound...next thing you know, I find that it's cracked. One more thing to work one...

01sesedan said:
..... power steering pump ........Hoses and filter are new.
For you guys that have had luck with re-manufactured pumps, where did you get it from?

Are you talking about water pump?

I have learned to go to dealership for parts like water pump and power steering pump. The initial cost hurts a lot, but in the long run, they last much longer and you save on time and labor.

Just my 2

Powersteering pump...

Yeah, if this one give me too much trouble, guess I'll have to take the hit.... As long as it lasts as long as the original...

Thanks..

I buy most of my parts at AutoZone, but I am there alot and know most of the guys that work there. If anything gives me a problem they do everything they can to make me happy. I have also had very little problems with defective parts. I think it is better to have knowledgable help...and they know me when I walk in. When I need a part and walk to the counter they already know (most of the time) I am working on a XJ and just have to ask what year.

I will admit some parts do have to come from the dealer, but almost everything else I get from AutoZone.

Where was the pump leaking from? Did you make sure to put the o-ring in before tightening the pressure line?

It was leaking from the back...the round part (that's sunk in)that had the snap-ring. Hope I explained it correctly. As for the hose, that is also new and o-rings were installed.

I'll see how this one works out...

Back