• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front wheels shake hardc when hitting a bump at speed

sbilbrey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj 4.0 with approximately 150K miles. I have noticed for a while that when I hit a bump at speed (as in a bump in an entrance ramp doing 65 to 70) that the steering wheel will pick up a shaking for a couple seconds and then it will go away. But it seems to be getting worse. The other day it did it for long enough for me to decide to lift and touch the brakes.

Am I looking at new bushings, new shocks, something wrong?

Thanks for the advice,
Sammer

Any lift? Sounds like bumper steer, when the drag link (steering) and the track bar are at different angles, could be something else though

death wobble, id say, check bushings, and probably get it aligned if it hasnt been for a while.

No lift, all stock, even has lame street radials. I'm thinking new bushings and alignment. Will I need an alignment after changing out the bushings? If so, I want to make sure I do the bushings first. Any recommendation on bushings? I run poly bushings in my other cars and like the feel. I would like to go to something like a 31" tire in the future. Would this plan effect what I should do about this?

Thanks,
Sammer

check your track bar mine was doing the same thing and i looked at the track bar bushings and my frame side was gone i got a new track bar with my lift and it fixed the headace for me .

I have a similar problem. I get horrible front end shake when I hit bumpy road in a turn (~50-60 mph).

Going straight and bumpy..no prob ---- Turning on smooth road...no prob

I had this shake a few months back, did shocks all around and it almost completely went away. Now it's back with a vengence.

I took a peek under the front end and the trackbar had no unusual play in it?

-Jerry

Last edited:
Back