• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears could an '88 (?) come with?

grizz78

NAXJA Forum User
So I 'm basically having a free '88(?) Cherokee 'shoved' ( thats what she thinks) down my throat, and I'm thinking i could swap the axles in it to get some better gears in my '87

the '88(?)has a v6 auto w/ select trac.
Does anyone have an idea what gears could be under it? I checked the rear axle tag and it says 4.11s I didn't know that those were ever any stock cherokee, and did they really make xj's w/ v6's in '88? :confused:

If it is a v6 than it's not an 88, it would have to be an 84-86. And I'm not sure but I do not believe they put 4.11's with the v6. Maybe someone else will know more on that

Mstrkage, 88's do have v6..sort of...theyre I6.
and to the OP, here are the specs ( i have an 88 tow package)

rear Dana 44 (cant beat that!)
gears: 3.73:1 (if you have the I6 w/ towing)
or, Dana 44 has 3.54:1 if you don't have the towing package...you'll know if it has the button on the dash that says power or (smooth?), which is for towing, just shifts higher.

hope this helps.

from what I've heard... the 4cyl XJ's came with 4.10's...(4.11's, same thing...)

well, there's your answer...

4.10/4.11 were avalable in SOME, not ALL (mine has 3.73's) 2.5L Manual trans XJ's, And some 2.8L XJ's if equipped with the auto trans and 242.

THe more rare, better find is a 2.5L XJ with and automatic. These have 4.56's stock. Just shedding a little more light on the topic of avalability.

Back