• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the 10,000th lift question

oilyjeep76

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody.

New to the sight and owning an XJ. I just picked up a lift that is supposed to be 3.5". It came off another Cherokee. Believe it might be an RC or Trailmaster (had crappy trailmaster shocks that came with it) The parts I have for the lift are:
coils
rear springs (stock i think) with AAL
dropped pitman arm (new) came from a 6.5 lift the p.o. had just put on his jeep& didnt use
adjustable track bar (with worn out tie rod on end) has a Rusty's sticker on it.
u-bolts.

After doing some searching on here, I 'think' that I am okay using the stock control arms. I would like some thoughts on this.
Plan on getting new ubolts for the springs.
the jeep is a 92 w/ 4.0, ax15, 231, Dana 30 & 35. Right now it has 235-75-15 Geolander at+II's on it. I probably will not wheel it much if any. Mainly use it for work (construction/remodeling) and tool hauling. My plan is to build the rear leafs up by taking #2&3 leaf out of spring pack on jeep, grinding down about 1.5" on the ends, and adding them to the spring pack with the AAL. My main goal is stiffening up the rear a little and actually let me put more than 1000lbs of stuff in there without bottoming out the suspension and make it sit level unloaded.
Will be putting in new front axle u joints and ball joints in at roughly the same time.
Main question is do I need to go with extended LCA's with this amount of lift. Also am looking for some input on building up the rear leaf pack--good idea, bad idea, a better way. And finally, looks like my rancho5000 shocks will work for the rear, looking at the RSX's for the front. opinions on these shocks, please.

Thanks
Theron

you won't NEED LCA's, but they will make your ride smoother...

You should be O.K. with the stock lower control arms but as mentioned, you will get a better ride with new ones. Also the stockers will rip apart fairly easily if subjected to any serious off roading. I suggest ditching the add a leafs and building up some bastard packs, assuming you're on a budget. Otherwise get new spring packs, you'll get a much better ride and better life out of the springs.

tayman said:
you won't NEED LCA's, but they will make your ride smoother...
I assume you mean because of the bushings, and not the angles.

Thats a rather blanket statement to be making. Some are better then others.

But you dont need new arms at 3''. Recommended, but not needed.

Put some overload springs on it if you want it to sit level unloaded but don't want to bottom out the suspension with 1000 lb load.

Thats a rather blanket statement to be making. Some are better then others.

this is true, I was basically giving a general statement that is agreed upon by most...

Something else I forgot to ask about is the front sway bar. i know the sway bar to axle links are shot. Does the whole sway bar assembly need spaced down or can I just get some extended end links? Basically, I don't know whats out there.

JeeperJohn, can you give me your definition of bastard packs. I think that may be what I have in mind. pulling a couple extra leafs out of the current leaf pack, and adding it to the leaf pack I'm building up....The AAL may or may not get added, depending on how much lift I get with the added springs.

thanks
Theron

a bastard pack is basically just mixing spring packs... bastard meaning "ill-legetimate" so basically it's a spring pack that has been mixed with others. a very good thread on bastard packs is the "$11 bastard pack" thread. that's what I did.

Right, I did some searching and found Rock Lizard's home page. I guess I am using the same idea he had for the rears and didn't know it. With a 3-3.5" lift, would a 3 or 4 degree spacer help the driveline angles and reduce vibration considerably. They look cheap enough that if they will help, I'll probably add 'em.
Still wondering about what to do with the front sway bar. suggestions there?
I think for now I'll stick with the stock LCA's, and possibly do some junking for the WJ lca's later on.
Rancho RSX's-- anybody use them.. whats the consensus there.
Appreciate the responses.
Theron

at three to three and a half inches I doubt you'll have much of any vibes... I'm at five inches, and only have very minor vibes... as far as the swaybar, get some quick discos, or just leave it off..... the quick discos will include extended links.

Back