• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade snorkel

Wallymander

NAXJA Forum User
Since i was aggrivated at the prices for the snorkels made by the few companies that DO make them. i decided 2 make my own. Not bad for about 20 bucks...im happy with the results. Now i can drive through south Houston when it rains....

Last edited:
pics no worky

cool.....looks like a $20 snorkle.

i used 2 inch because....well....i was not sure and it was esperimental. it happens to work well.
I cut the hole tight on the airbox and popped the 90 degree pvc elbow in the hole.. it was tough but it wont back out .....then i used silicone to seal around it.on the top,.. well if i can figgure out how to get the pics on here, ill let you guess..its like a "what is this from" game :)
Ive never hosted from Flicker before, i dont think i like that site

okay i edited my second post to a link to my photo page with all the pics ...plus a few pics of a house im looking at purchasing

the thing you used at the top of your snorkel, is it a top cover for hydro service coming into a house(dont know the name)

btw cool dub, but whats up with the hood? 2 piece?
vw's are the only other vehicle I've found thats as tough as a jeep

mike86xj said:
the thing you used at the top of your snorkel, is it a top cover for hydro service coming into a house(dont know the name)

btw cool dub, but whats up with the hood? 2 piece?
vw's are the only other vehicle I've found thats as tough as a jeep

DOOD i agree also.. Its my 93 Fox. I made a two piece hood because i had a roots blower on it that stuck up through the hood like a old school drag racer... i damn near blew that lil 1.8l up.
it took the abuse like a champ.

Funny cuz Jeeps and VWs both came out of WWII... form the war production lines...

The top is a cap that is used where power lines come into a house,...i dont know t he name either....but i think you are right

mike86xj said:

yeah, its a weather head...most hardware stores carry them...it's a pretty good idea but i would have mounted it backwards.

I wouldnt have done something like this to my jeep and drove it in public, much less to work, if i couldnt take critisizim.
I have what i call counter-critisizm-critisizm... It tends to keep most people in check..
I can see you are a bit of a doer and not just a talker. I give you credit for that.
we have two different styles and thats what it boils down to. Im not gonna butt heads on that......Good day sir

Beej said:
Looks perfectly functional, except that for optimum cfm flow for the 4.0 you need a 3" diameter or equivalent tube...

Yeah so ive heard... i am using the original intake for everyday use...i used some weatherstripping on it so it seals up watertight( i am pretty sure) and used a choke cable on it. (anyone had a car with a manual choke on it? My first car. a 1973 MGB, did) So i can close it on demand from the cab.Thus only requiring the snorkel only suring actual fording.Otherwise i recieve two intakes during everyday use. I will probably upgrade sometime in the future. It really does get deep quick in the Houston area when it rains heavily though. And that is seriously why i did this.I had to make it to the airport once..i had water on the hood and she made it through...just barely..but we did. After that.. nevermore i said.I shall be ready. So its not a 100% all the time use device.But it sure looks cool!! i mean isnt that also important? I do believe it doth be!!

Back