• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual locking hubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

palmettobackwoods

NAXJA Forum User
Im putting a high pinion (reverse gear) dana 44 in my front end. While looking and searching to buy ive been seeing really nothing but manual locking hubs. This got me thinking, I really like my auto locking hubs in the stock dana 30 and got to thinking. When you set the stock command trac into four-wheel drive its just locking the t-case into place right? So this would mean that the axles in the front spin all the time? If thats right and I want to keep it that way would I just have to buy the axle assemble w/ xj knuckles and just put on the stock style wheel bearings just like it is now?

Yes, you certainly don't have "auto locking hubs", they're just constantly "engaged" if you will. No, you can not just transfer your d30 knuckles to a d44, doesn't work that way and that'd be a serious downgrade. A nice advantage to a real axle up front is the serious step up in braking(usually dual piston calipers and bigger rotors). I believe you can get drive flanges that are always "engaged" though. I'm no d44 expert though, I'm sure others will chime in before too long.

palmettobackwoods said:
yeh, i have a vacum coming in to the top of the diff.
No, you don't. That's the vent tube.

You seem like you need to do some more research before attempting a d44 swap, it's not exactly the most simple thing to do, although there are harder things.

ddeadserious said:
No, you don't. That's the vent tube.

You seem like you need to do some more research before attempting a d44 swap, it's not exactly the most simple thing to do, although there are harder things.
you're telling me and palmetto this is a vent tube?
pic11.jpg

besides the fact that this is switched to a posilock that is a vaccum disconnect the two nipples on the right side connect to the vaccum system

yeh, and help on mpg's. i was also considering putting a posi lock on it too, to have the "true" 2 wheel low. but i highly appriciate it.
btw, it want be too hard of a installation of the 44, ordering it from currie w/ all the mounts and brackets seperate. I'll weld them on myself at my shop.

TheDiabetic said:
you're telling me and palmetto this is a vent tube?
pic11.jpg

besides the fact that this is switched to a posilock that is a vaccum disconnect the two nipples on the right side connect to the vaccum system

I'm tellin you he said his tube was on the differential, and the CAD disconnect assembly is definitely not on the differential.

What you want for the Dana 44 is called drive flanges. They can be found stock on some 44's (a lot on waggy front 44's) where you don't see manual locking type hubs on them. They are available on the after market, upgraded of course. I recommend polyperformance as a good place to pick up a set. Found here http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Poly-Performance-Dana-44-Dana-60-Drive-Gears-p-61.html

Here is what I am talking about
d_4951-01.jpg

edit: This is what ddeadserious was talking about earlier

I am in the middle of swapping a d44 also. If you want it locked all the time, then put manual hubs on and keep them locked. But if you ever need to have manual then you would have it. I plan on running mine unlocked or lone locked and one unlocked mostly due to that I want to be able to turn on the trails easier.

Back