• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico was a blast! (lots of pics)

Mr. Pickle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang, I just want to say that Calico is my new favorite place to wheel. We went up Odessa and I was so much fun! The group consisted on me, my dad's friend and his 05 Rubicon and my buddy and his 80's Jimmy. Oh, and of course the fullsize rig was open.... here are some pics and comments, enjoy.

My dad got a lot of walking on Saturday... I heard he is lurking around this board now, xjrock I think
P3220667.jpg

Stoping to size up the first obstacle. It was so nice because it was Easter and it was empty. We saw 2 other small groups on the trails.
P3220674.jpg

The Rubicon did really well for only a 2" lift. It hung up once and made everything with no issues
P3220680.jpg

The Jimmy did really well for being open, however, it got hairy at the end
P3220696.jpg

Squeez..
P3220699.jpg

The XJ did awesome all day. I was so happy with the bump up in lift and the new bumpstops.
P3220710.jpg

P3220720.jpg

Sweet posing shot
P3220729.jpg

Things get a little more interesting...
P3220734.jpg

P3220745.jpg

Had some powersteering scares, but everything turned out to be ok
P3220759.jpg

P3220763.jpg

Cool shot in the canyon
P3220769.jpg

I want to thank my dad for being a great spotter all day, the only problem is that he spots way too close and I almost ran him over a few times...maybe he needs some stronger glasses...
P3220771.jpg

Ok, this is where the fun began. We were in the tight canyon for almost 40 min trying to get the open Jimmy to the top. Man, I was beat affter picking up rocks to get it to the top. There were a couple of times when I thought he was going to eat crap but he got outta there with a small scratch.

P3220778.jpg

P3220779.jpg

P3220782.jpg

P3220783.jpg

The jeepster made it with no problems and no damage, it was a good day.
P3220784.jpg

P3220785.jpg

P3220787.jpg

great pics, looks like you guys had a blast! gotta get out there one of these days, drop the kids and wife off at the ghost town and go play in the hills for the afternoon :D

Mr. Pickle said:
Ok, this is where the fun began. We were in the tight canyon for almost 40 min trying to get the open Jimmy to the top. Man, I was beat affter picking up rocks to get it to the top. There were a couple of times when I thought he was going to eat crap but he got outta there with a small scratch.
LOL... sounds like you were carrying the rocks we tossed down the previous weekend :D In any case that place is so much fun and I could play in that canyon for quite a while ;)

:confused1 Whatta you mean "Stronger Glasses" You would still be stuck in that canyon if I hadn't been spotting you....:roflmao: Great job that day Son. :eyes:

looks like it was a blast, I wish I could have managed to get up there. I dig the full blown NAXJA runs, but an empty Calico run with a small group would be a blast.

Did my trail report help you out at all....or just make things worse.

88trailcrawler said:
looks like it was a blast, I wish I could have managed to get up there. I dig the full blown NAXJA runs, but an empty Calico run with a small group would be a blast.

You're right small groups are a blast. Next time we do Calico (fall) we will have smaller groups organized. Btw, we ran up Odessa to Bismark and down Odessa on Sunday after almost everyone departed and IIRC we did it in about an hour in each direction (IIRC it was a hair under the hour going up and about 45 minutes going down).

88trailcrawler said:

I fogot to respond but yea, it totally helped. It was cool to kind of have an idea of what to expect. Thanks again for taking the time to write it.

Kejtar said:
You're right small groups are a blast. Next time we do Calico (fall) we will have smaller groups organized. Btw, we ran up Odessa to Bismark and down Odessa on Sunday after almost everyone departed and IIRC we did it in about an hour in each direction (IIRC it was a hair under the hour going up and about 45 minutes going down).

Dang, that is quick! Our time was severely hindered by the open Jimmy but it just gave us more time to drink beer and take in the scenery. Nonetheless we had an absolute blast and I would have spent another hour out there helping him through so he could have gone with us. As you all know, wheeling is great but not without friends and family. :cheers:

Back