• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnect o2 sensors for seafoam?

Rokee44

NAXJA Forum User
so unfortunatly my last oil change consisted of poonzoil, and ever since a recent issue with fuel pressure and a broken vac line (which was resolved) ive been running rich and throwing an o2 sensor code. (and i changed both o2 sensors) but still drives very well...just can tell its bogged down and not burning all the gas. but now its gone a little further as a friend said he saw a tiny bit of blue smoke when i drove past him today. regardless of how im going to solve this issue...first thing is the oil needs to be changed. but after reading some good reviews about seafoam im going to give it a shot before i do. and possible some lucas oil injector cleaner as well? (my engines at 150k now)..so im going to remove my cat as its fairly new, and put a 2' long pipe i have lying around in its place while i run through the seafoam. what id like to know is if there is anything i can do to avoid the possible distruction of my new upstream o2 sensor?...i know i can take out the downstream without much effects for a 5 min drive but what about the upper one? my wallet says i should avoid the chance that it could be ruined. im expecting there will be a good bit of build up as well by the way (slightly heavy foot, horrible oil thats been in too long AND high mileage couldnt have added up well) :( stupid.

Take it out. No seriously, take the O2 sensor out and then run the seafoam through. Also, if you rev it up high lots, you'll most likely not have as much carbon as someone who keeps the revs low. :)

If your jeep is 91+ and you take the O2 out, it may set off a CEL, but you can get that reset at autozone. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

thats what i wanted to hear :D haha ya i have a 98...i was wondering wether or not the ECU would be thrown off so badly that it wouldnt even make it around the block... very limited knowledge as to how they work specifically... thats true about the high RPMS and carbon i guess... only thing is i bought this off my aunt....who is very nice and calm christian lady and im not sure that she would have ever even set off that annoying shift light that goes off around 2100 rpm :p.....then again. two of the speakers were blown... so you have to wonder what exactly was goin on there...haha

and Gerr...ive heard mixed results with it...it seems to depend on a lot of variables...but either way there is in fact a chance of it fouling them up...and i literally put them in like 3 weeks ago.... $150 o2 sensors says i shouldnt take that chance. :S

Last edited:
The up stream o2 sensor is used to determine the correct air/fuel mixture.

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but if you take that out, wouldn't that cause the Jeep to run like crap, or not even run at all (either be way too rich or way to lean)?

well thats along the lines of what i was thinking... it definitely regulates the air/fuel mixture.... and no way id want to run my car without it connected...but for the sake of the new o2 sensor i was wondering if the engine would be able to handle a drive around the block a couple of times without it connected...or alternatively something i can protect it with? dunno..

I would think the engine would resort to an "standard" set of parameters which would be programmed into the ECU. On the off chance an O2 sensor goes bad, the ECU would have to have something basic to run on without knowing the exact air/fuel ratio at the time.
The engine would still run, obviously not as smoothly, but it would still run I'd think.

i would think that if you pull the o2 sensor you should atleast plug the hole or put an old o2 sensor in. for some odd reason i keep the old o2 sensors i take out. i must have 3-4 old ones from my 89 laying around in my garage.

ya ill plug it. so im about to run the seafoam through. going to put 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the crankcase and then run it and let the intake suck it through a vacuum line...as to which one i am not sure...i have a 98 and on my manifold i have one vacuum line in the front that isnt connected to anything and is smaller than the other ones... can i use this or should i disconnect something else to put it in?

spark plug fits the hole , just do it!
you will harm nothing, hello smoke screen!

I pulled my brake booster line and dumped it in there

alright. im convinced! so just to make sure as for the procedure... i put 1/3 in the gas tank and 1/3 in the crankcase then i start it up with the hose in the bottom of a cup with another 1/3 in it....then reconnect hose when its empty and take it for a drive and hammer down for a couple of miles?...then come back, change oil and thats it?

I know the Seafoam can says to let it sit in the Intake/track for at least 15 minutes to soak right after you let the vacuum suck it in there... that way it has more time to work than just letting it run right thru.

Plus get ready for a smoke bath... and I'd highly recommend doing this NOT in your garage... (ask me how I know... lol)

Brake vacuum line worked for me in my '96 to suck the SF in. Good luck.

haha thanks....ya ive been told its comparable to burning a large pile of leaves after a rainstorm... lol....im a little excited :p i think ill go on a scouting mission for cops along where im going to be driving before i do this...

When I sucked it into the intake I used half a can, just kinda sucked enough at a time to keep it running then sucked a whole bunch at the end (enough to make it stall) then let it sit 15 minutes then started it up went fot a drive

Back