• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fatal crash

m0n3ym1k3y

NAXJA Forum User
alright so in my town a cherokee t boned another cherokee and the first driver died on the scene. where it happened the speed limit is 30mph. so how fast do you think the first xj was going for the drive to die immediatly?

You dont need to be going fast. 30+30= death. Thats a bumer 2 XJ's

m0n3ym1k3y said:
alright so in my town a cherokee t boned another cherokee and the first driver died on the scene. where it happened the speed limit is 30mph. so how fast do you think the first xj was going for the drive to die immediatly?

As stated, it has almost nothing to do with the speed of either vehicle. It would make a much larger difference if the person was or was not wearing their seatbelt.

Michael

Speed limit of 30, figure both where doing 35, so a combined speed of 70. That would do it.

It is surprising how much abuse an XJ can take though, my wife rolled one on I-90 a few years ago, flipped it end over end, and walked away with only a few bruises. That accident is one reason I like the XJ so much, it was surprising to see how well it held together considering the roll she put it through.

I have been told that the most common traffic fatality is 30+ mph side impact on a city street. The B-pillar is very close in that scenario.

The key to survivability is dissipation of energy over the greatest period of time and distance. As the weight of an occupant goes up so does the probability of their injury or death.

Not to be morbid but when looking at clinical causes of death in auto accidents you often encounter scenarios that cleanly illustrate the hazards of mass and decelerations... brains hitting insides of skulls, organs tearing away from their blood supply, etc...

Those with roll cages should evaluate under what conditions the cage may become a liability and endeavor to design around those scenarios.

Matt_West said:
I have been told that the most common traffic fatality is 30+ mph side impact on a city street. The B-pillar is very close in that scenario.

The key to survivability is dissipation of energy over the greatest period of time and distance. As the weight of an occupant goes up so does the probability of their injury or death.

Not to be morbid but when looking at clinical causes of death in auto accidents you often encounter scenarios that cleanly illustrate the hazards of mass and decelerations... brains hitting insides of skulls, organs tearing away from their blood supply, etc...

Those with roll cages should evaluate under what conditions the cage may become a liability and endeavor to design around those scenarios.

Matt, I have never heard this in quite those words. Makes complete sense and I have to agree with your description.

One of the largest reasons that I designed my cage the way that I did was for that exact reason. I have seen some very poorly designed/built cages that I believe would be much more of a liability in the case of even a very minor incident.

Michael

Back