• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flare or no flare?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
What do you think?go flareless or put em back on?

89 xj 4.5", 33 cooper dicovery stt's
PICT0044.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

i personally like the no-flare look but its illegal in ontario and most provinces... not sure about BC...u guys seem to a lot more slack for most things...:greensmok lol

unless its a trailerqueen...in which case who cares anyways lol

on a side note you have a hell of a time drilling into that plate steel for all those stupid fender bracket bolts....

ehall said:
flares won't make that pretty again...

not really going for beauty points here, just kinda wondering if I will run into cop trouble or not, I will be relocating and keeping the front flares.

No flare...

atleast trim the rear pinch seem, if your not going to run flares.
even if your not going for looks, I found mine looked silly with the flares off, but no trimming done.

I know not everyone likes them, but I like my TJ front flares up front, and YJ rears our back. The rears seemed like they were made to fit there after normal trimming.

just buy a tank

beakie said:
atleast trim the rear pinch seem, if your not going to run flares.
even if your not going for looks, I found mine looked silly with the flares off, but no trimming done.

I know not everyone likes them, but I like my TJ front flares up front, and YJ rears our back. The rears seemed like they were made to fit there after normal trimming.
How much can be trimmed?, My bodyguy friend said not to trim past the factory spot welds, so thats as far as I went. The 33's now tuck nicely without any rubbing.

go to the spot welds or cut and fold on my crappy yellow line?
CUT1.jpg

I say flares, it's a pain in the ass to clean mud off of the inside of your windshield, that is if you roll with the windows down ever.

evil dead said:
thi is some funny $h!t right here, I thought I was the only one who never rolls em up...ever.

With flares. Raised and stretched.

I rolled up my window today, but left my vent window open.... Bad move...

well rear flares are back on, fronts flares are off I just trimmed, went out and flexed it for rub, no rub. You ever filled the underside of your hat brim where it meets your forehead with mud? even worse with glasses!!

Wow, I bet those door panels aren't going to fall off. There's like 50 rivets in each door! I plan to plate my doors too but gah I didn't think it would take that many rivets...

It's 1/4 inch hockey arena board (high density plastic), I had just planned on doing the rear quarters and started there. To keep things looking right I kept the spacing the same. Yeah too many rivets! over 220. they hold up very well, trees just slide off the doors. waiting for sliders before I try for rock rash

Hmm. Where'd you get that stuff from? I've been trying to find large sheets of black UHMW for that same purpose that don't cost a million dollars...

It's my understanding that it's illegal for the rubber to stick out past the body in BC.

I've only been running my lift (w/ rubber extending past the flares) for a week - no tickets yet.

2369014962_fbe8c671bd.jpg

Yeah I don't get it with the tire/flare laws, it seems that if you at least make an effort to cover the rubber sticking out your okay.I have a friend with a rubi, his tires are way out there like 5 inches past his wackers and he has no problem. I guess it depends on the cop and what kind of day he's having. I wouldn't try and go flareless up front, they stick out a bit as it is, I may have got away with it in the back, I have an 8.8 rear end and its narrower.

p.s. 2 inch fender washers , and 1/4 inch nuts and bolts work great when the flare retainer raild crumble out on removal.

Back