• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light on

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
My airbag light just randomly decided to come on tonight in my 99'. Everything on the gauge cluster works fine except the fuel. It reads accurately about 60% of the time, but it has been doing that since I bought it 2 years ago. Anyone know why the light decided to come on? Should I be concerned about this thing releasing while I'm driving?

Airbag light comes on when it detects a malfunction during the self test it runs through when you turn the key on...a defect is unpredictable...it may not release if you have a frontal impact...and it may release without an impact...

The airbag light was on in my 97 for quite a while. The reason I asked is that my clockspring went bad, when that happens your horn, cruise stops working and airbag light turns on.
You might want to check into the recall notice about the airbag module for cherokee's.
http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall-56588.html
I got this one for my 98. Already got the recall done for my 97.
Hope this helps.

Note:
I have had XJ's for a while, and have even pushed other cars with my 98, havent had an airbag go off yet. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
Your airbag won't go off accidently.When the light is on it is warning you of a malfuntion and it WILL NOT deploy in an accident.Clock spring would be my first guesse,but the only real way to tell is have it hooked to a scan tool capable of reading restraint systems.

There is also a common problem with the airbag light coming on and the guages (sometimes all of them, sometimes one or two) dropping. These airbags have a mercury sensor under the console if Im not mistaken, so pushing someone with your bumper wouldnt make it go off anyway. If you're worried about it deploying, take the fuse out of your airbag circuit until you get a chance to resolve the problem.

I just replaced the bags in my 99 with a set out of a 97. The 97 was running when I parted it out and there was not an airbag light on in the donor vehicle. I used both bags, module and clock spring so I had all the same parts going in at the same time. Now they are all in and the airbag light on the dash is still on.....when I turn the key to the accessory setting, all the normal lights come on in the cluster, but they all go off and then the airbag light goes off for a second and then comes back on. WTF??? I too am worried about it blowing the bags while I am just driving down the road, but according to an earlier post that will not happen..correct?? HELP!!

XJ&TJ4ME said:
I just replaced the bags in my 99 with a set out of a 97. The 97 was running when I parted it out and there was not an airbag light on in the donor vehicle. I used both bags, module and clock spring so I had all the same parts going in at the same time. Now they are all in and the airbag light on the dash is still on.....when I turn the key to the accessory setting, all the normal lights come on in the cluster, but they all go off and then the airbag light goes off for a second and then comes back on. WTF??? I too am worried about it blowing the bags while I am just driving down the road, but according to an earlier post that will not happen..correct?? HELP!!
If the airbag light is on they will not go off even in a collision. It means the system is malfunctioning so it disables itself. On a side note, sucks that your light is still on Tyler, I have no idea what else it would be :dunno:.

yeah, it has me stumped. I am wondering if it is not something with the clock spring. But since you say it will not discharge in my face (no nasty comments please! :D) I feel safe about driving it. Thanks for the input Collin, it is appreciated as usual!

XJ&TJ4ME said:
yeah, it has me stumped. I am wondering if it is not something with the clock spring. But since you say it will not discharge in my face (no nasty comments please! :D) I feel safe about driving it. Thanks for the input Collin, it is appreciated as usual!
I bet it is in the clockspring somewhere since that is the brains behind the operation, but I've never really had the whole thing apart. My dad took his old ('02) Suburban in 2 years ago and had them check the airbag light. He for some reason had to drive it around a couple weeks while they ordered a part or something and they assured him that with the light on, the system was deactivated.

There is a conector behind the instrument cluster that needs to be cleaned or at least reseated. The other stuff mentioned like the clockspring could be it also but I'm not sure of an easy fix for that. I found the problem on mine after a google search of air bag light but a quick search I just did could not find it. It's out there I'm just too tired to hunt for the airbag dirty conector on a jeep fix thingy.

This is a cut and paste from my 01 FSM..

"If the instrument cluster turns on the airbag indicator lamp after the bulb test, it may indicate that a malfunction has occurred and that the airbags may not deploy when required or may deploy when not required."

So, for safety's sake, I am reinforcing my original reply...a defective circuit is unpredictable...some people think the circuit will disable itself and not deploy the airbag...but NOBODY can predict how a defective circuit will perform, so forget about counting on it to disable itself. The only safe over ride on a defective circuit is to manually disable it...there is no guarantee that an electronic circuit will disable itself.

so if I pull the (2) 10 amp fuses that go to the airbag module, it should take out the chance of the bags randomly discharging? I just dont want to be driving and have these suckers pop while I am doing 700 on the freeway.

DAMN!! I did not realize that I had the worlds fastest XJ...700 is a bit fast for the freeway, maybe I will slow it down to 70 :D

There are two buss connectors that the instrument cluster snaps into on the 97-01 XJs and 97-02+ TJs. There is also a TSB addressing the problem of small black patchs of oxidation building up on the buss terminals and pins for the instrument cluster.
This oxidation causes an intermitant loss of signal from the ECU which will cause the Check Engine light and Air Bag light to illuminate, and any/all of the guages to either freeze or drop to nothing.
My Jeep has been into the dealer a couple times over the past 7 years along with having the TSB performed; which requires to removal of the old buss connectors and new ones soldered in.... I personally have had the instrument cluster out close to a dozen times and the problem reoccurs....
A friend of mine is a Jeep tech and he even tried a solution he uses at the dealership and the problem still reoccurred.
My solution for the problem is that when the gauges freeze or one of the lights illuminate; use the turn signal and make a right turn. The gauges return to normal.

you're a mcgenius this just started today for me, i tried what you said with the blinker and it worked. my words were get the f*ck out of here

While this is not a permanent fix... ; it is a cheap quick fix which works....
Before anyone posts about the ground cable on the firewall and under the dashpanel....; these have already been checked and ruled out!!!!

Back