• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stingers, street legal?

ksmithers88

NAXJA Forum User
lets face it, stingers look cool, but its hard to believe that the DOT would approve a bumper that could potentially destroy a compact car for street use. I've looked on floridas DMV website, but found no info, its not like offroad bumpers for street use is a hot topic or anything...

But who knows for sure? if anyone? I wanna get one for my XJ, but won't be able to if its not DOT approved because its still my DD.

how would a stinger destroy a compact??? a compact would probably be level with the bottom of the bumper. specially since most stingers are on lifted vehicles. if anything the stinger would help you "slide" up onto the compact. LOL

I had looked into this in NY nothing wrong w/stingers there was a height requirement. I dont remember the exact # but the bottom of the bumper couldn't be more than x inches off the ground so that it would line up w/ a compacts bumper.

I

I live in orlando the cops pulled me over but sa nothin about my bumper
001.jpg

ksmithers88 said:
lets face it, stingers look cool, but its hard to believe that the DOT would approve a bumper that could potentially destroy a compact car for street use.
You hit a compact car, it will be more compact. How could the DOT approve anything that would make a compact car more compact? I don't think it would be fair to point the finger at the bumper, but more to what was pushing the front bumper as it cleared the compact car. When the first car was ever made, it only took a couple weeks before the first accident happened where driver hit someone on a bicycle. Accidents happen. You can't blame anything on a vehicle for the accident. It is cause by a default code of some kind in the IA behind the wheel.

So - (stirring the pot)...does the lack of DOT approval actually make a bumper (or beadlock rim) illegal? Y'all better check your local motor vehicle laws...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

i pretty regularly look up the rules/regs on my local automotive laws, and never actually saw anything that talked about DOT approved bumpers. there were requirements such as minimum height and requirement. but nothing else.

as far as wheels, they have to be DOT approved. (there are actually a couple brands that make DOT beadlocks.)

Back