• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I turn off the check engine light?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ and it needs to pass an emissions test before the end of the month. Check engine light on = automatic failure. My light comes on and off randomly because my NSS is bad, and I have a button wired around the NSS. Sometimes it triggers the CEL, but mostly it doesn't, I don't know why.

Anyway - is there any way for me to turn off the light without going to the dealer or something?

BuddhamanJB said:
pop off the dashboard and pull the light. It will never hurt you again :scottm:

I wish I could, but I think the thing they plug into my OBDII port checks the light to see if it's working.

This wouldn't be as simple as just unooking the battery would it? :doh:

BuddhamanJB said:
pop off the dashboard and pull the light. It will never hurt you again :scottm:
Or......How about properly fixing it?

trail rate this said:
unhook the battery and touch the two cables together. Touching the cables together will drain the capacitors in the computer.
Not necessary. A "quick" way to make the light go away is just unhook the negative side of the battery for a few minutes (20 should do the trick)....however this is not recommended.

My advice is, after properly fixing the NSS so you'll pass emissions, invest in an OBD-II scanner. Northern Tool puts them on sale on a fairly regular basis (although you can find them almost anywhere..walmart included), but when they're not on sale, they can be had from as low as $50, so well over a few hundred dollars....it's all a matter of what you want to spend on one, and what you want it to do. If you want one to just read/clear codes, you're looking closer to $50. If you'd like one that can give you some sensor read outs such as TPS, o2 sensors..etc etc, your obviously going to spend more, but it can come in extremely handy that one time you're trying to track down a failing sensor (ask me how I know).

You're light is coming on because the computer is sensing a lack of (or wrong) signal from the NSS in accordance to what gear the transmission is actually in. I forget the actual code (should be 2 of them if memory serves) is/are being thrown, but i've seen it before on a couple different XJ's with bad NSS's. If even seen some go as far as to slip in and out of OD when the switch began to fail.

Also keep in mind, if you get the light to go off, don't run straight to the inspection station. There may be a few "not ready"'s that the computer is sensing, and the only way to make them "ready" is by driving the Jeep "x" amount of miles with zero fault (a chance for the computer to properly reset). Ideally, you'll want to get the light to go off and drive somewhere around 50-100 miles trouble free. Again, seen this happen on a friends truck. He had one too many not ready's (drove it to the inspection station right after properly clearing the CEL) and it failed because it exceeded the limit allowed in this state. Drove it for a few days with no problems, and took it back and passed with flying colors.

Why do you have a button wired around your NSS?

Back