• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need something to do...

T3hk1w1

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I'm bored and have some scrap metal to play with. Not much, I've got a 4"x16" piece of 3/16" steel, as well as misc chunks of angle iron, small pieces of plate, ect. Any ideas for a small project? Have access to all power tools, welders, ect. Ideally would go on my '00 XJ, but as is my daily driver, I cannot go taking off axles, ect :( (No way to get to auto parts store then :eek: )

A 2" receiver adaptor that accepts two jeep style tow hooks on either side.
Like a rams head horns.
That way you don't need a shackle to hook up a tow strap.
and
seems like there are a lot of tow hooks laying around after the jeep guys put fancy winch bumpers on.
will need all smooth corners, no sloppy slag to rip the nylon strap.

LCA skids are a good idea, but I think if I was gonna do that, I would just drop the axle and fab up some stronger brackets. a Hi-Lift jacking point is a good idea though. I don't think I'll need rear tow hooks, as I found this recently at Academy :) Slides right into a 2" hitch, and it's more than an inch thick at it's thinnest point.
DSC00688.jpg

EDIT: not trying to shoot down ideas here, sorry.

Want to make me some adapters to put my ZJ seats on 94 seat rails?

How about using the piece of plate steel to re-inforce the lower 2 steering box mounting bolts, while adding a single front tow hook? The steel is the perfect length already, as it will pick up your bumper mount holes, the 2 lower steering box bolts, and the factory hole in the back that the tow hook bracket mounted to ( it is already sleeved, also...) I have/am doing this to all of my herd, even if no tow hook, just to keep the box from removing itself, and killing another XJ/MJ in the process. I think that I have a couple of pix, if wanted.

I've got a JCR Offroad winch bumper coming to me shortly via the Brown Van of Happiness. The mounts for it act as a brace for the steering box, from what I've heard.

I would be interested in pics though

this is what i did, next up im going to weld the track bar to the unibody so it quits creaking,,,

also have some weld on beadlocks im going to put on, just waiting for the rings but they should be here friday..

000_0185.jpg

Okay, pix coming up...

100_1667.jpg

The second steering box bolt is behind the fender brace, but I think that you can get the idea.

007.jpg

This is while I was making the plate.

Last edited:
Back