• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats a Locking Torque Converter do?

Olympia

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Chrysler 904 transmission in my XJ. The Chrysler 909 is the same tranny but with a locking torque converter. If having a locking torque converter is better, I would probably look for a 909. It would probably be a direct bolt on replacement.

Your torque converter is a fluid coupling between the engine and transmission. Since it's a fluid coupling, there's going to be some amount of slip involved, and there's nothing that a fluid can do about it.

A "lockup" torque converter is one with a mechanical clutch inbuilt. This clutch is usually engaged with hydraulic pressure, and turns the TC from a fluid coupling to a mechanical coupling - the clutch works just like one for a manual. The transmission controller is usually set up to engage the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) in steady-state cruising at 45mph or higher.

Why for is this good? A fluid coupling generates heat (let's just take it as read for the moment.) Engaging the clutch takes the load off of the fluid, and that helps it cool.

Also, a fluid coupling is always going to slip. Engaging the clutch prevents this by converting it to a mechanical coupling. This means that you won't lose some engine speed going into the transmission, you'll reduce operating temperatures of the transmission, and you'll get slightly better fuel economy (and efficiency.) These are all good things.

You do have to make sure you have a transmission controller that knows you have a lockup TC and knows what to do about it (AFAIK, pretty much all "lockup" transmissions are electronically controlled,) so it's more work than a simple swap. However, if you spend a lot of time in steady-state cruising, it can be worth it.

Back