• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ mirrors on 96?

Yes, but if you have power mirrors and get 97+ power mirrors, the plugs physically fit, but the pinout is different. So either get manual ones or splice some wires. Or just do like I do and get power ones and stick your arm out the window to adjust the mirrors as needed(and it's not like I'm adjusting every day or anything)

isn't it difficult to see the 97+ mirror because it sticks out farther - meaning the bar on the back side of the 'vent' (no real vent windows on the 96 i dont think) would be in the way of the mirror? I had heard that from someone who did the mirror swap; and then he ended up doing a complete door swap to get the single piece glass for the front window.

CommandoXJ96 said:
isn't it difficult to see the 97+ mirror because it sticks out farther - meaning the bar on the back side of the 'vent' (no real vent windows on the 96 i dont think) would be in the way of the mirror? I had heard that from someone who did the mirror swap; and then he ended up doing a complete door swap to get the single piece glass for the front window.
On the driver's side IIRC it does block the view but on the pass side it doesn't (or it may be vise-versa). And wasn't that me you heard it from Dan :D?

just use some older ford ranger mirrors...thats what i put on my 86 mj...just a few holes need to be drilled and you have the mirror sticking out more than usual but install is easy and in my opinion i like the look much better

maybe2fast said:
so the view is blocked?
No, it's just about 2/3 of what it could be if you didn't have vent windows, it's still a bigger viewing surface that the older mirrors, do it!

i have '99 mirrors on my '90 and they look great and seem to offer way more view than the old style ever did .. physically they bolted up and fit pretty snug, put a tiny bit of black silicone around the top of the seal because it hit the vent window weather strip and there was a very slight gap

but i had to splice the power wires, took 30 minutes for both sides

DSC01585.jpg

I had exactly the same experience as he did ^^. They bolt right up, though you might have to dremel the plastic to fit it around the weatherstripping.

They're so much better than the (ugly chrome) stock mirrors on my 90...much more field of view.

CanyonWheels006.jpg

anthony said:
i have '99 mirrors on my '90 and they look great and seem to offer way more view than the old style ever did .. physically they bolted up and fit pretty snug, put a tiny bit of black silicone around the top of the seal because it hit the vent window weather strip and there was a very slight gap

but i had to splice the power wires, took 30 minutes for both sides

Care to elaborate on how you spliced the wires to get the power to work Please... I am about to install the set that I have on my 90..

Clean-RC said:
Care to elaborate on how you spliced the wires to get the power to work Please... I am about to install the set that I have on my 90..

It would be pretty basic I would think.

As for me, I just cut the wires off. I don't need to move the mirrors often, if ever. And if I do, it's not difficult to reach out the window to do it :)

it was really straight forward .. the power mirror joins to the harness via a connector inside the door panel, unfortunately they were of different styles so i just cut off the old connector and grafted it onto the new mirror .. IIRC the wire colors were even the same

a little solder and some shrink wrap et voila !!

This seems to be a great mod since the side mirrors on my 89 leave a lot to be desired. Thanks to those who posted the pics. They help a lot.

Can the pre 96 window glass (with vent windows) be replaced with newer one piece glass, to get an unobstructed view?

Maz said:
Can the pre 96 window glass (with vent windows) be replaced with newer one piece glass, to get an unobstructed view?
Not easily, you have to cut the tracks out of a 97+ XJ and weld them to your doors. REDDOGGXJ or a similar name did that to his XJ, you might want to pm him if you're very interested in doing it. If I remember right he had to shim the regulator out a bit too.

Back