• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Rig's Going Back To Stock. What Do You Guys Think?

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Before any panties get bunched-up :laugh3:, here's the scoop. I'm working out a deal for a '90 XJ - 6cyl, auto, D30 & D35 and runs, but it's not smogged. The guy said that it's not DD worthy and looks pretty ugly. If I remember correctly, he's right. The idle creeps up too.

I'm thinking about transferring my '99's lift and axles over to the '90, bringing my '99 back to stock or near stock, and making the '90 a trail rig. Maybe even tubing it out.

I'll be getting a 8.25 27 spline from Shaggy4x4 and I'm thinking that the D30 from the '90 would be ok for the '99.

I just need to get stock suspension parts since I gave all my stuff away..

Any thoughts or heads up??

E

silverslk said:
After all the damage and dents you have done to yours.......why bother now. haha

Exactly what I was thinking.. :doh:

But, the '90 either doesn't have front fenders or they are hacked off...

E

well the 90 only has a renix motor. More simple and easy but less power and noticable. With a Shiat more hoses and wires under the hood.

also the trans is only a 21sp and so is the TC, even though I have never even rebuilt either and I beat on them, its still not as strong as the 23 spline stuff in the 91 and newer.

I would Not do it, but thats me. I would trade my 1990 subframe/frame up of a jeep and cage anyday for a stock 99 subframe up and start over and reinvest time and tube.

ROBERTK said:
well the 90 only has a renix motor. More simple and easy but less power and noticable.

Is Renix motor really really that much weaker than the HO motor?

I always felt my 89 Renix has plenty of power. Now I am thinking I should drive an HO XJ and see/feel the difference.

Maz said:
Is Renix motor really really that much weaker than the HO motor?

I always felt my 89 Renix has plenty of power. Now I am thinking I should drive an HO XJ and see/feel the difference.

Well the numbers show what 10-15% less HP/TQ.

with my 39.9 tires w/ 5.38 gears, in 2wd, its a Dog going up highways like in Big Bear or back side in to stodard valley. I do mean Dog.

On the trail I would say its powerful enough, But would Really like another 200HP... :flipoff:

What if I were to say that this '90 XJ came into my possession for free and I need to make my '99 more reliable. ???? I hear what you're saying Robert. However, it's not an "either or" situation. I came across this rig at the same time I've been trying to figure out a DD. I could make the '90 my dd, but my '99 would be more reliable. I might be able to bring the the '90 up to par. It think it might be less work compared to swapping out axles and the lift.. BUT, keeping the '99 as a DD seems to be a smarter move because it's newer.. E

do the swap and beat on the renix, it's a good setup for wheeling and plenty powerfull for highway use. we use our 90 80 miles a day climbing the cajon pass and highway 138 summit at the 2 at 65+ no problem (faster if Im not trying to save gas). People are just biased on the couple extra ponies a HO motor has, but in reality with all the extra wires and hoses as robert mentioned it is a basic sound motor and with some proper care and maintenance it will keep going for a very long time.

Gerr said:
do the swap and beat on the renix, it's a good setup for wheeling and plenty powerfull for highway use. we use our 90 80 miles a day climbing the cajon pass and highway 138 summit at the 2 at 65+ no problem (faster if Im not trying to save gas). People are just biased on the couple extra ponies a HO motor has, but in reality with all the extra wires and hoses as robert mentioned it is a basic sound motor and with some proper care and maintenance it will keep going for a very long time.

I agree, Dont loose sleep over it. Use what ever you what. Just was sayign if it were me I would do this that or the other. but for you, do what makes best for you.

I beat the crap outa my renix, and have never really been unsatisfied, except in 2hi and not being able to climb a rock on a trail if I come up to it and stop before it adn position a tire for where to go over it, then push the gas. It will just bog adn no tires will move. And thats on a remanufactured motor with all new everything in the way of sensors and inj, etc. but thats what 2lo is for right...

Well with what ever you do decide to do... YOU have a lot of work on your hands.. Just buck up and FIX your 99.. By taking TWO xj's apart and moving things back and forth YOU are looking to create problems that were not there before.. Im not raggin on ya, just some food for thought...

Clean-RC said:
Just buck up and FIX your 99..
Scott, what do you mean by fix my '99?? Make it the trail rig??

Clean-RC said:
By taking TWO xj's apart and moving things back and forth YOU are looking to create problems that were not there before.. Im not raggin on ya, just some food for thought...
I thought about that...

I could get the '90 back to stock.. It would need front fenders, front bumper, front seats, cat, o2 sensor, and the "idle creep" fixed..

I'm going to pick up stock coils and springs this week and just need control arms and links...

I'm taking all of this in. So, feel free to keep it coming. I'm still brain storming and am not dead set on anything yet.

E

Last edited:
Hummm if it were me i would roll my 99 as a dd and the 90 for the trail. For me the fun would be taking my time building it to how i wanted it. I sure as hell wouldnt pass up the chance to get a 90 for what you are getting it. Good luck in your decision

I have the stock coils from my lift laying in the driveway. Also have the stock track bar. there was nothing wrong with it when I removed it.
You want em? they're yours.

I agree with those saying tearing two down to swap around might be more trouble than it's worth though.

Clean-RC said:
Well with what ever you do decide to do... YOU have a lot of work on your hands.. Just buck up and FIX your 99.. By taking TWO xj's apart and moving things back and forth YOU are looking to create problems that were not there before.. Im not raggin on ya, just some food for thought...
x2

Get the '90, clean it up, fix a few little things on it, then sell it!

I hear what you guys are saying about "opening a can of worms" I just have a hard time coming to terms with "bastardizing" the '99 since it was my first XJ.. :eek: I would feel better about beating on '90 though.. :D

rpraterxj said:
Get the '90, clean it up, fix a few little things on it, then sell it!
I could.. But that wouldn't be good "karma"..( Not that I believe in "karma") Where would that leave me?? $500 or so ahead... maybe... I still need to work on a DD... '55 Chevy engine conversion may take longer than I want...

hmmmmmmm.. Maybe I'll get the '90 up to snuff first, then take it from there.. Anyone have fenders???

bassthumb said:
I have the stock coils from my lift laying in the driveway. Also have the stock track bar. there was nothing wrong with it when I removed it.
You want em? they're yours.
I just landed some coils & leafs and I still have my old track bar.. Thanks..

E

EliasJ123 said:
Anyone have fenders???
E

Dude fenders are overrated!

Back