• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Antenna on my '90 - Problems

Skylar

NAXJA Forum User
1. Frozen. Doesn't retract when I shut it off from the cabin.

2. Motor runs regardless of off/on, or key position.

I pulled the 10amp fuse in the meantime. Would WD-40 & some elbow grease get me anywhere? I know of people who have driven theirs for like a decade with a frozen antenna, I'd like to fix it cheaply if possible. Thanks for your time

Most likely the plastic gear inside the motor stripped out. Almost universal problem. I have had it happen on two different XJs. The first one, I went to the dealer and got the fixed mast setup. Pain in the neck to install. The next time I just snipped the white wire under the right side dash to stop the motor from draining the battery. Luckily it broke "up", not "down". That fuse may run a couple of things IIRC. Better to snip the wire.

Ah, I got it. I think that's what I'll go with. It has alot of options- Most of which seem to be failing lately. The pass. door window motor's gone as well.

Thanks for the info on the wire, kevin!

I just replaced mine with one from Team Cherokee, their generic is a Crown part if I recall. Not too expensive but it is a royal PITA to swap. You have to pull the fender flare and fender liner, then take the wheel off to get to it. Then it's some heavy contortion work.

But mine goes up and down now... :D

kevin s said:
Yeah. All that stuff breaks eventually. How are your door locks? If sluggish, give "Greg Smith" a search.

My door lock mechanism are breaking keys, OEM 1990 key's in two pieces, and the cut copy I made is almost dead.

Skylar said:
My door lock mechanism are breaking keys, OEM 1990 key's in two pieces, and the cut copy I made is almost dead.
Took mine to an alarm shop. They cleaned up the locks and re-lubed them for $5 a door. Best money I ever spent on this XJ.

Back