• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Replacement: How the F*** do you do it?

mission-inc

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 4.0 was running funny (idle jumping around and when i stepped on the gas it went crazy then fizzled out and died). Inspected the CPS wiring and it is toast. Tested the CPS and there's resistance from the dang thing. So i've got a new one sitting right here waiting to be installed but I can't for the life of me get a wrench on the 2 bolts holding the old one in!

What size are the bolts? What'd the best way to remove it and install it? I really don't feel like taking the intake and head off again if i don't have too.....:shiver: Anyone done this before? :repair:

a three foot extension and a ratchet from back by the tcase.

old_man said:
a three foot extension and a ratchet from back by the tcase.

Woah, looks like i'll need a longer extension... Do you know what size the bolts are off hand?

thanks 'man!

:repair:

Three-foot extension, and either a 7/16" or 11m/m socket with an inbuilt universal joint.

When you're putting the bolts back up, either pack the socket with grease, or put a bit of bubblegum in it, and then put the screw it. Dropping one of those into the bellhousing is NOT fun.

If you use bubblegum, put the socket in the freezer overnight to harden the gum, and it should break right out.

5-90

I recently had to replace my CPS on my '96.. I used a 12 inch "wobble end" extension. It's like a small angle universal. To put the bolts back in, I put a piece of notebook paper over the socket and pressed the bolt head in. It makes a tight enough fit that the bolt won't fall out. It's less messy than bubble gum or grease.

I'll have to see if I still have the pic of the "notched" CPS that I do - that way, you won't have to fully remove the scerws anymore - just loosen them, slip the old sesnsor off, slip the new one on, and tighten.

It really cuts the time spent changing the sensor out, believe me...

5-90

In case 5-90 doesnt locate his writeup, here is a link to mine on another Jeep forum board.

Notching the CPS only helps you when you need to replace it again. This time, you gotta do the duty, suck it up and just do it.

You will need a 1/4" ratchet, two long extensions and a wobble (u-joint socket) and a 7/16" or 11mm shallow well socket. Go in from underneath the Jeep, look up beside the driver side of the tranny at the sensor and just get the bolts out.

Go back together withthe new notched CPS and you will be glad one day.

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=20947

Tally_XJ said:
In case 5-90 doesnt locate his writeup, here is a link to mine on another Jeep forum board.

Notching the CPS only helps you when you need to replace it again. This time, you gotta do the duty, suck it up and just do it.

You will need a 1/4" ratchet, two long extensions and a wobble (u-joint socket) and a 7/16" or 11mm shallow well socket. Go in from underneath the Jeep, look up beside the driver side of the tranny at the sensor and just get the bolts out.

Go back together withthe new notched CPS and you will be glad one day.

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=20947

Exactly. You'll have to sack up and do the whole job the first time, but it gets a LOT easier later when you do it that way (and you don't have to worry about losing the screws...)

I'll probably work out some sort of stud arrangment for repalcements, but I haven't been able to get to that yet (got a few other things demanding my attention right now...)

5-90

damnit! :shiver:

i wish I read this thread BEFORE I finally got the darn thing in... Oh well atleast it's in and the truck runs WAY better than before (cleaner idle, no studder at WOT) party1:

Thanks for the help guys. :kissyou:

Back