• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finally getting the lift

fuelfox4949

NAXJA Forum User
ok april 4 i get my 4.5 inch rough country lift. going to run 32 goodyear mtr's also buying adjustable trac bar and rough country disconnects.

now here is the question this is my first lift that i will be doing by myself what am i to expect? of course the directions make it look easy but what am i really to look forward to. asking for common problems that can and will happen.

i am pb blasting as many bolts as i can for a week straight. going to put the extended brake lines on before the build so it is one less thing to do.

In a few days i am getting a budget boost from teraflex so i am replacing the shackel and putting in coil spacer.

if any one wants to let me know preferable you have put on many lifts to give me advice on what to know is going to go wrong and what to look for will help alot thanks guys.:helpme:

Do some searching and you will find tons of info. But anyway here's a short list but there will be more when you get into it.
1.lots of PB and get a torch from home depot or something it goes for $30
2. At least one if not more rear shoclk bolts are gonna break
3. If you are doing shackles the weld nuts might break
4. The front leaf spring bolts could be a bitch, if you are doing AAL's dont touch that bolt.
5.A TC drop can be a bitch getting the studs out
6. Getting the torx heads that are pressed in on the lower sway bar disco are a PITA.
The front isn't that bad because you can get a wrench on everything, the back sounds easy but it could really suck

krelja said:
Do some searching and you will find tons of info. But anyway here's a short list but there will be more when you get into it.
1.lots of PB and get a torch from home depot or something it goes for $30
2. At least one if not more rear shoclk bolts are gonna break
3. If you are doing shackles the weld nuts might break
4. The front leaf spring bolts could be a bitch, if you are doing AAL's dont touch that bolt.
5.A TC drop can be a bitch getting the studs out
6. Getting the torx heads that are pressed in on the lower sway bar disco are a PITA.
The front isn't that bad because you can get a wrench on everything, the back sounds easy but it could really suck
oh that reminds me of a couple of things. if your rear shock bolts break, like mine had....and the mechanics twisted the 2nd pair of shocks and used POS self-tapping sheet metal screws....just drill the original holes all the way through the floor, remove the rear carpet, slide a nice long bolt and washer in, and walla....good shock mounts.
also, if your jeep has ever been in winter salted roads like mine had, and full of rusted bolt threads....then every single bolt will be a PITA to get out.
have fun!

krelja
user_online.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_243831254", true);
humdinger

thank you thats what i was looking for good feedback anyone know what the shock bolt is so i can pick up some bolts at the hardware store. yes i live in minnesota so even in june there is salt on the road. i am getting full leafs i dont ever want to touch a AAL to me they are a waste. going to use the budget boost with the lift kit. if it gives me problems i will take it out i just wanted it so that if one end is saggin i can adjust it.

I would agree with Krelja on all the potential PITA aspects of installing the lift. I alslo had trouble getting the factory steering stabilizer out - needed a pickle fork and beat it with a 3lb sledge. When doing the transfer case drop, make sure you soak those studs with PB blast for a few days b/c they were tough to get out. I ended up using an 18" pipe wrench on them to break free. I also broke a rear shock mount - this is a very common problem. Check www.detoursusa.com for extended shock mounts as an option (detours was out of business for a while but I hear they are now up and running again). The front leaf spring bolt takes some finesse to get out b/c the bolts are so long - you'll see what I mean. Take your time and do it right - I can post some pics of my xj if you want to see what it will look like.

my 91 is actually in the middle of a lift install right now-
heres some problems we ran into-
FRONT-on the passenger side, one lower shock mount bolt broke, and brake line had to be fliped 180 degrees on the caliper(a little short)
drivers side-none! although i welded a 1/4 " plate for reinfocement to the side of the spring perch due to rust hole
REAR- shock mount bolts- 1 so far maybe more or all tomorrow, and we found BOTH of the lowest leaf on both sides were fractured in the center.off to the boneyard.
and where the leafs bolt to the body the nut on the inside seems to have come unwelded. so ill either go thrue the top via cutting the floor or cut a door in the frame rail and "sardine can" it open, and when finished, hammer it down and weld a bead around it

wow so far you guys are making it sound really bad to do it myself.

the only problem is i can build a quad or a dirtbike from the ground up but when it comes to my jeep only had it for 2 months so i feel like a dumas.

i would rather install things myself and learn then have some mechanic do it and me not learn a thing.

i may be 23 but i want to learn as much as i can cause with my heavy foot i want to know what will break and what to improve.

ok so far i am expecting shock bolts to shatter under my breaker bar and to be gentle to my leaf spring eye bolts.

by the way thanks for your guys advice.

I did a 3" last summer. My wisdom:
- Don't unbolt the main leaf. It's much easier to use C-clamps and disassemble the spring pack, put in the AAL, and reassemble them with the main leaf already bolted on. I broke one of the leaf eye bolts and had to drill it out and retap the hole. Not fun.
- For some reason my RC quick discos were a bitch to get lined up. Also, go buy a few spare pins, the same kind that come with them. I've lost a few when driving. Better yet, if you can find a D-style pin with the same diameter, I'd use that.
- Be sure and get a front alignment immediately after you get done installing the lift.
- If you're planning on running stock wheels with 32x11.5 you're going to need spacers, otherwise the tires will rub on the control arms when you turn sharply.

I just did a rubicon express 3.5 and if you just take your time and don't get in a hury its no big deal i just took my time and didn't rush anything. i will admit that i did hit a few rustys road blocks but i just took my time and got through it in like a day and a half and i put in new rear leafs so it shouldn't take you that long if your just doing aal. the only thing i broke were shock bolts. good luck man

I intalled a 4.5 rc lift on my xj upgraded to 9000 shocks spring pack adj armtrack and discos but i do not like discos at all going to buy jks instead xj was from san diego so everything went smooth took 8 hrs to complete rc is one of the best liftkits............my opinion good choice

all in all installing the lift isn't bad. It's just some of the things listed above take alot of time. I started in the rear and it took twice as long as the front, but thats just me

try using an impact to get the shock mount bolts- and dont get discouraged w/all the bad hype your hearing, fuelfox4949. if you can build bikes, you can do your lift. any snags, just use the forum for advice!!!

Actually, I would strongly suggest using hand sockets for the rear shock mounts against the body. That's where they always break - I was pretty lucky and only broke one.
Fuelfox4949 here are some pics of the finished lift

DSCF1560.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

Last edited:
Back