• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half door 2 door

88RIxj

NAXJA Forum User
As known i have a 2door xj. I want to put my doors on quick hinges and make a set of half doors for the summer time, so i can make my A/C into an air comp. i think i know the lay out i want but i was woundering if i need to leave the outer frame of the whole door for the unibody or if i can actually cut it as a half door?.pics would be very nice.
thanks, Mr X

Re: Hlaf door 2 door

Mine are cut halfway. If i had to do it over i might would have left the door frame though. Havent had any unibody issues from it though, and they say that 2 door XJs have a stiffer chassis anyway, do it how you like. Here's a few shots of mine. I just cut it right above the latch and above the mirror, put sheetmetal over the open part with sheetmetal screws, and then modified the original inside door handle to open it.

n12703603_31504088_9618.jpg

jeephalfdoors062.jpg

SD530455.jpg

Series07-2-396.jpg

They really help in this situtation.
000_0606.jpg

jeephalfdoors062.jpg

Last edited:

Doors have no effect on the unibody and the 2 door and 4 door models have the same unibody.

I'm planning on leaving the frames in mine. I'd thought about running two sets of doors (4 dr, so 8 doors total) and have figured out a way to just use plexi for the cold months. Still a month out on getting to that point though...

Main reason for leaving the frames in my case--wife wants the back doors to remain as close to stock as possible to keep the kids' arms and legs in. I figure it'd look screwy to run frameless cut front, and framed cut rear.

Jess said:
Doors have no effect on the unibody and the 2 door and 4 door models have the same unibody.

True doors have no effect on unibody. Although the 2 door and 4 door are not alike. The 4 door has an added pillar for roof strengthening. 2 door has 3 pillars, and the 4 door has four ,according to the "XJ Builders Guide".

The hatch provides structural rigidity but the front doors do not. HTe hatch is a very important part of the jeep. I run with no doors on my jeep 99.9% of the time and love it. It is kinds weird the first couple of days driving and seeing everything on the outside so easily, no to mention feeling like you are going to fall out

Doors have no effect on rigidity.

If the doors did affect it's structure... you wouldn't be able to open them when it was flexed. Sure, the body may move around a little and the door pin might move a scosche but it's not going to make your rig fold like a taco - doors or no doors.

I need to just make a thread explaining the process and showing how I did the latch, but basically you can see where i cut (just did it with a sawzall). Cut one side at a time, take your time and make both sides as level as possible (mine were basically just eyeballed). My dad bends sheetmetal for A/C jobs, so he had all the nessecary material and bending tools to make it look decent. Then i just put the caps on top and put sheetmetal screws to hold it to the gutted door, then added a "Custom" badge off a comanche just cuz i had them haha. When i go home from school in a few weeks ill try to remember to take a few pics at different angles and such. The worst part was shimming the hinges to make the doors work on my jeep. I have a set of regular doors too, both just open up and pull right off, and then slide right back in and shut just as smooth as stock.

Back