• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's or 35's?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I have a 1990 XJ AX-15/NP 231 at about 5in of lift... I'm in need of different tires... I'm on worn out street tires, 31's, and they don't do all to well off road...

So what I want are opinions on what tire size to get for wheeling around hollister hills, sierra runs, likely a little mud, etc. I don't mind trimming. I'm not very hard on the heep, and plan on an 8.8 swap. I'm currently D30/35 on 3.07's, but am also planning on regearing to probably 4.56's.

so.....?????

If you want to run 35's you better ditch the turdy5 pronto & re gear. The 33's will suck bad enough with 3.07. Best throw some allow shafts in the front too.

Really depends on your budget, but there is more than just the tire size to consider.

mattyj said:
If you want to run 35's you better ditch the turdy5 pronto & re gear. The 33's will suck bad enough with 3.07.
this I know... which is why I plan on the swaps.....

I'm basically looking for the recommended tire size for my usage...

let's go with this.... I want to run the rubicon.

Last edited:
to run 35's you're gonna need to upgrade the front too. Alloy's a truss good u-joints at a minimum

I don't run that hard man..... shafts I can see, but you really think I need a truss?????

the fact that the axle is not that strong it tweaking under he stess will cause r&p failure due to housing flexing. Shafts will probably be fine for most but the turdy does need considerable beef to really run 35's

ah.

Well if are going to do the axle upgrade, gears & shafts before the tires, i say 35's....... but you need to be realistic & understand that you may break stuff from time to time. If you want hassle free then go with 33's.

I know how you are feeling. I was debating the same thing you are now. I went with 33's. I figured by the time I'm done with my 33's I will have slowly built the turdy to handle it. I have a 44 for the rear and 4.56's goin in this week. I wish I threw 35's on but when I don't break as often with 33's I think it will be worth it. Instead of spending money fixing something you could spend money upgrading

tayman said:
ok, I have a 1990 XJ AX-15/NP 231 at about 5in of lift... I'm in need of different tires... I'm on worn out street tires, 31's, and they don't do all to well off road...

So what I want are opinions on what tire size to get for wheeling around hollister hills, sierra runs, likely a little mud, etc. I don't mind trimming. I'm not very hard on the heep, and plan on an 8.8 swap. I'm currently D30/35 on 3.07's, but am also planning on regearing to probably 4.56's.

so.....?????

Good Lord. :rolleyes:

I've been to Rubicon, I've been to Hollister, and find the Sierra Chapter forum, we're going to Hollister on the 12th.

33's will be plenty.

4.56 will be ok with 33s, but you may want low transfer case gears to really get it.

I run 35s, locked, alloyed, 4.88s on a D30 in the Sierras and I've never had a problem. I would not hesitate to run a locked, untrussed D30 on 33s in the Sierras. I would probably pick up a set of Alloy USA shafts because they don't cost all that much, and I like mine.

thanks guys...

Phil, we've PM'd before, and I think I have to trust you reading all the stuff you've done...

I already have a spare D30 sitting in the yard just waiting for me to pull the shafts outta it for spares... so that's an argument for 35's, but I can worry less running 33's..... *ugghhh...*

if I DID do 35's on an un-modified, locked D30, how likely would it be that I'd start breaking shafts?

What about an open D30 and a locked 8.8?

I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!!!!!

we're going to Hollister on the 12th.

I'll have to try to make it. got more details? (where to meet/when?)

Phil said:
Good Lord. :rolleyes:

I run 35s, locked, alloyed, 4.88s on a D30 in the Sierras and I've never had a problem. I would not hesitate to run a locked, untrussed D30 on 33s in the Sierras. I would probably pick up a set of Alloy USA shafts because they don't cost all that much, and I like mine.
Me too, only with the stock quick disco 260 jointed pass side and alloy drivers side, and have not had a problem yet.

Each person will have a different response to the shafts breaking. Some have broken the 30 unlocked on bald 30'' tires, and some have stock shafts hold up to 37'' tires. You have to know the limitations to your Jeep.

in other words it's the classic line..... "depends how ya drive"

I'll go ahead and tell you that you WILL break the stock shafts with 35s. Mine snapped like twigs locked on 34s. But hey, run em till they break then stick some alloys in there...

I'll be running 35s locked on Alloy USA shafts as soon as I get it together...or I'd tell ya how they hold up. With a lifetime warranty - they are worth it!

Last edited:
well, that's always an option!

haha.... tires, 8.8, and gears first! LOL...

uhhh...... no...

I'm not quite that hardcore.....

Back