• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tell me why...

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
Should I go with a 5.5" or 7.5" tnt y-link lift. I am gonna be rock crawling in the sierra's and would like to run 35's. I see a lot of you guys with about 5.5" of lift with 35's...not too many guys run a bigger lift. Do 2" really make that much difference :) when it come to stability or are there other reasons? I must admitt I like the looks of the taller lift but I don't want to sacrifce performance. Thanks in advance...JC

for me it is price. 5.5" is less costly than 7.5". At the 7" mark you pretty much need to go to long arms and everything that goes for attaching them.

I think that if you go with the 5.5 then you may wish you had gone for the 7.5 later. Whereas, if you go with the 7.5 now you will not look back with regrets.

The trend seems to be bigger tires with less lift. It gives you a better C.O.G.
For the Trails that I run... 7"+ would get a little hairy.

Thats 2 more inches of travel you can use...
Im on 7.5 w Y-link arms and 35s, I wheel all over the serrias and id deffentally go 7.5.

BakersfieldXJ said:
Thats 2 more inches of travel you can use...

Actually its only 2" more"up" travel (depending on your bumpstopping) than the 5.5". But the 5.5" would have more down travel (if they both have the same length shock). Plus a lower COG.

mattyj said:
Actually its only 2" more"up" travel (depending on your bumpstopping) than the 5.5". But the 5.5" would have more down travel (if they both have the same length shock). Plus a lower COG.

Agreed! Cut, Bumpstop, and keep you COG lower.

according to a friend of mine..... up-travel is over-rated...

I have 6" of lift and 35s and wheel the Sierras, but I usually only do easy trails like Swamp Lake and Rubicon.

You should check out the Sierra Chapter forum. We're planning a run to Hollister on April 12th. It's not the Sierras but you can meet some people and see some rigs.

MONSTERxbla said:
Should I go with a 5.5" or 7.5" tnt y-link lift. I am gonna be rock crawling in the sierra's and would like to run 35's. I see a lot of you guys with about 5.5" of lift with 35's...not too many guys run a bigger lift. Do 2" really make that much difference :) when it come to stability or are there other reasons? I must admitt I like the looks of the taller lift but I don't want to sacrifce performance. Thanks in advance...JC

I think the lower you can go and clear the tires you want to run the better. I recently lowered mine by one inch. If I could trim the back more I would probably lower it another inch. Low COG is the way to go in my opinion. It just feels better. You can run 35s with 5.5 lift and some triming.

MONSTERxbla said:
Do 2" really make that much difference :)
She said those extra two inches didnt matter, but she had a smile on her face. :huh:

Im not hardcore, but I have 6.5'' TnT thing on 35s and it works. How much are you willing to cut is the question.

Back