• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case

brandonrobxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have just been told I need to replace my Transfer Case any ideas on what i should pay for a used or new TC? how hard is it to install? i have a 96 xj auto 269km on it and it is a 231j tc

just go get another one from JY for around 100. or spend for a new rubicon 4:1 from mopar at around 1000 ish. Durangos have super cool np242's that were better than the xj's. I run the 242 so I am partial to that one.

Go to a salvage yard and pick one up, of find out what it is in the TC that is busted and order replacement parts from Quadratec and rebuild it, its always a good learning experience, unless you just want the comfort of having a new one. If you go the salvage route, make sure they pull one from an XJ with your setup, the 4 cylinder TJ/YJ ones have a different bolt pattern and wont fit (straight anyway) in an XJ.

brandonrobxj said:
found 1 on ebay with 74000 miles just ordered it see how it goes
I hope you realize that there are a ton of variables to the 231.Spline count and length,Cherokee vs Wrangler,year variations,etc!!!

1987-2001 , NP231, Command-Trac, 2.72:1, 26 splines
(Same as D44 & D30 pinion. Also same as both outputs of D300 transfer case.) , from 87-01 the 231's are all the same

the 242 isn't better than a 231, nor is it worse. It really boils down to driving style prefrence for what each one offers. The 242 gives you all time 4wd where the 231 does not. the 231 offers better gearing, the 242 does not. A big item of note is with a 231 you can be locked up front, the 242 does not like to be locked in the front (not counting tru-tracks and limited slips).

like I said boils down to style and the 242 will bolt right up from a durango, I am looking at one sitting on the floor of my garage that I just got from ebay. I even got lucky and dont have to worry about splines cuz it came with its yokes.

brandonrobxj said:
1987-2001 , NP231, Command-Trac, 2.72:1, 26 splines
(Same as D44 & D30 pinion. Also same as both outputs of D300 transfer case.) , from 87-01 the 231's are all the same
Uh,no they not all the same spline length.They also are not the same as the pinion yokes(otherwise we'd all have a simple SYE yoke)!

brandonrobxj said:
i have ordered a 231J from a 2001 xj, according to my research it should work
I think you are correct. I think it is the same as long as you got one from a 91 up and from an XJ it should be the same.
Rebuild your old one and keep it for a spare. I did that for my 242.

Back