• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no fuel pump prime noise

dimarcobp

NAXJA Forum User
ok I just bought a 1990 XJ laredo w/165kmiles about a month ago...
I have a crank but no start situation.
I changed the Crank sensor (major PITA I thought Jeeps were easy to work on)
I also changed the fuel pump relay...when the Jeep is running it runs awesome so I do not believe this is a fuel pump issue...

However here is the problem...I hear the fuel pump priming about once every 10 attempts to start the truck.
When I do hear the fuel pump prime...the truck starts well and I can drive it for hours without problem...if I stop the truck and restart it right away...no prob...if it sits for more then 15 minutes...it dies...

Another thing I just noticed, when I turn the key to the RUN position (just before starting the jeep) and hear the fuel pump, my headlights usually come on and I see my seatbelt sign on the dash. Now when the fuel pump doesnt prime, the seatbelt sign doesnt come ON nor my headlights. I have no check engine light and I have never seen another light coming on then the seatbelt one..

I'm starting to believe the computer is going bad, what do you guys think? I found one on ebay and I'd like to see what you guys think before ordering it.

Thanks

I would actually start at the ignition switch a go from there with your trouble shooting. I am not as technical as some of the guys on here but i feel the computer would be the last place you would look. Start there and your wiring. Sounds like you have a contact that is going bad and not allowing good conductivity or possible a loose ground somewhere. Good luck i hope this helps you a little bit.

Well iM off looking for a bad ground somewhere,..

funny thing is when I replaced the fuel pump relay everything was fine afterwards but it lasted only 2 days and the problem came back...

Found it...

I put my key on the ON position and started wiggling and following every damn wire I could see under the dash..
I saw what appeared to be a broken antenna cable so I didn't think much of it...
3 hours later when the only remaining cable that i hadnt touched was the broken antena one...i realized it was a switch:twak:

I turned it on and what do you know...i hear the fuel pump coming on and the truck starts w/o problem...

now the only thing that bugs me is why on earth was it working intermitently if there was a kill switch to the ignition??

Anyways,,i have a working jeep again...for now:eeks1:

Back