• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor panel problem?

BubaXj89

NAXJA Forum User
my 89 XJ has some floor rot and I want to take some sheet metal mold it to the floor panel and clean the rust area and pop rivet and silicon the piece of sheet metal in. That is what I want to do but if any one has any suggestions on any other kind of metal I could use please let me know.

you can do that or buy replacement floor pans.

i forget the link for new floor pans, but if you search you will be able to find the name and link of the company that sells them.

Yeah they aren't too expensive... I've been trying to find a parted or 'wrecked' jeep and just pull the floor pans from it.

You could sheet metal but I' go ahead and weld it in. Rivet and silicon just seems too 'bandaid' rather than permanent.

Old car hoods work great, so far a 86 camry and a 84 stang have been donors on my brothers 93 4dr flinstone mobile. He's been cutting and welding the patches in (big job!), If your going to pop rivet patched in go for a thinner gauge metal (easier to shape) and use urethane or seam sealer rather than silicone.

andy5569 said:
i used some old sheet metal signs and pop rivets and silicon on mine and it has been working great for about 2 years now
silicone seems like a good thing to use but it will seperate from the panel surfaces sooner or later and you will no longer have a seal, use fast cure urethane (on the cheap side), or seam sealer comes in a caulking tube, or apply straight out of a 1 liter or gallon bucket, why do you think they use it from the factory? stuff it great

Okay well now I got floor rot right above one of my perches for my leaf springs in the back not alot but a little what kind of metal does any one sugguest I get ? I heard from one guy to try and use 26 gauge sheet metal

bcmaxx said:
silicone seems like a good thing to use but it will seperate from the panel surfaces sooner or later and you will no longer have a seal, use fast cure urethane (on the cheap side), or seam sealer comes in a caulking tube, or apply straight out of a 1 liter or gallon bucket, why do you think they use it from the factory? stuff it great

Where did you hear it will seperate? I used it on my floor pans last summer and it's holding up fine, and I use it at work all the time to seal up all kinds of stuff on houses, and it doesn't let loose. In fact, instead of pulling apart it flexes a lot and will hold on from what I've seen. Just my opinion.

BubaXj89 said:
Okay well now I got floor rot right above one of my perches for my leaf springs in the back not alot but a little what kind of metal does any one sugguest I get ? I heard from one guy to try and use 26 gauge sheet metal
I wouldn't use anything less than 20 gauge. 18 gauge would be best near suspension components/ high stress areas.

Back