• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints Difference in Years?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a difference in say a 2000 D30 ball joints to a 1990 D30 Ball joints?

ROBERTK said:
Is there a difference in say a 2000 D30 ball joints to a 1990 D30 Ball joints?

Don't know if you are still interested, I just replaced my BJs on both sides in my 96.
Used DANA "SOCKET ASSY KIT 706944X' these are supposed to be OEM
and at $49 per side, cheaper than O'Reilly's.
The kit came with the upper and lower BJs, nuts, cotter pins, and a threaded split sleeve. I was told that the sleeve is for older models. I know that my 96 takes the same BJs as the 99. The inclusion of the sleeve in the kit I think means they also fit earlier models.
BTW changing all four BJs is not bad if you use a different approach than the one described in the FSM. According to the FSM you beat the knuckle out.
I forced a BJ separator (the fork looking tool) at the upper BJ, hit the knuckle 2-3 times while tapping the fork in, came right off.
Last time I had to remove a knuckle, I just hit it, took for ever.

I don't think so. Some of the older models had a sleeve that threaded into the knuckle, but I don't think there's a difference in the ball joint itself.

anony91xj said:
I don't think so. Some of the older models had a sleeve that threaded into the knuckle, but I don't think there's a difference in the ball joint itself.

So, by including the sleeve in the kit, they cover all models old and new.

Back