• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case?

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
Is this a transfer case problem?

Yesterday I put my 1998 Jeep XJ Classic in 4x4. I heard a loud noise, like grinding, and if I gave the engine gas I could feel the front wheels engage and disengage. I tried this a couple of times and then put it back in 2WD.

I tried putting it in Part Time 4x4 and no noise at all. Giving the engine more full seemed to work fine. I cannot say if the front tires were pulling but at least it seemed to act as it should.

Transfer case, or something else?

Prior to this I had been having a popping noise that sounded like a bad u-joint. I changed the u-joints on the drive shafts and the noise stayed. I am waiting for some additional parts and then I'll be changing the ujoints on the axles on the Dana 30.

I've never heard the noise I heard yesterday before, but it has been October since I last had it in 4x4.

Last edited:
I have a 94 with NP231 that made a popping noise when it was in 4wd. The front wheels also didn't engage properly like you are stating.
It turned out to be that the drain plug was leaking and all the fluid had leaked out and FUBARed the t-case.
I only have part time though, and it definately didn't engage the front axle well. Also, only minor sound in 2wd.

Did you repair it? If so, what did you have to fix/replace? Thanks for the reply.

I was going to check yesterday, but got home and lazy. I think I'll drain and fill this afternoon.

Ok drained the fluid, not much in there. Filled it with Mopar ATF+4.

Took it out for a test drive. Not as bad but not driveable in 4x4.

Part time makes no noise, but I don't think the front tires are ingaged.

Full time pops and you can feel something give as you apply power, I would guess the chain is slipping, or that type of feeling (guessing).

My transfer case is a 242.

I have a 242 that had a very similar problem. I would say 99% sure you have a stretched out chain and it is slipping. Be careful b/c if you continue to drive it in 4wd w/o replacing the chain you could start chipping off pieces of gear as the chain slips.

Thanks for the information. I can't drive it in 4x4, it just jerks too much. Maybe I got lucky and all I'll need to replace is the chain. Now I'm about to go look and see if I am lucky enough to be able to replace the chain without having to remove the entire transfer case. What do you want to bet the answer is no. :eek:D

Normally you wouldnt have to remove the whole case to do the chain. Although sometimes it is better to remove it anyways so you can get a good look around and make sure nothing else is damaged.

Also, a stretched chain will drag along the bottom of the case and in extreme circumstances, wear completely through. So if you see some metal shavings in there, dont panic, best case scenario it is just from the chain rubbing the actual housing and the gears are still in good shape. Good luck, hopefully nothing major.

Thanks! I can't believe it, I may actually be able to fix this without removing the whole unit. I am getting a better understanding of the SYE now.

I'm assuming the chain streched because it got hot, due to the lack of fluid to cool the 242?

Well, maybe, but more likely is if it was ever driven in part time on a hard surface, and someone tried to make some tight turns, possibly a previous owner if applicable. That will stress out the chain since both driveshafts are turning in unison, and the wheels are traveling different distances during a turn, something has to give and usually it results in wheel hop or 'tire scrub' which stresses the chain and causes it to stretch.

I am the only owner, well me and my wife. :D

I have had problems getting it out of 4 HI, and I can get tire chirp trying to get it straight. This happened with in the last year while I was in a parking garage. I had a limited straight run before I had to turn, slowly of course. I finally got it to release the front wheels, unlocked, but I got two loud pops that I could feel through the Jeep. Perhaps that is when the chain streched. I have not had it in 4x4 for months, due to my belief I was going to break a u-joint and really mess something up.

Hmmm your information is very helpful for me to piece all this together. Now I just need to find a source for the chain, I'm searching the Internet now.

Where is a good place to get a chain? Is brand important?

Not saying it is not the chain. Have you checked your linkage for the transfer case? A not fully engaged transfer case may cause the same problem. My sisters 231 had no fluid for easily a year. I told her to add some although she was 300 miles from me. She put it in through the tube for the auto transmission lol.When I visited I took care of it for her and there were maybe 6oz of fluid in there. I cracked the case open and the chain was still good. I sealed it and added fluid.

Well I thought that might be the case, so I moved the shifter though out the entire range, including 4 wheel drive low. I think everything is sliding into place as it has for the last 10 years of ownership. Actually I ran 4WD Full Time for about 9 of those years. I would actually take it out of 4WD occasionally just to make sure it didn't get stuck. It had problems shifting out of 4WD, in retrospect I'm sure this was due to the low fluid in the transfer case.

As I may have already stated with the fluid in the t-case the popping doesn't seem to be as bad, but it still pops and the drive to the front stops each pop.

I think I'm going to order a chain, then break open the case and see. A stretched chain would also explain the rattling noise I've been hearing for some time when driving. For the longest time I thought it was that "issue" with the bolt/nut that held the front shock on. I later noticed that all that rattling noise went away completely when I was in 2WD.

It looks like cracking open the case looks pretty simple, so I think a new chain and if I am lucky that'll fix it. Of course cracking it open will tell me really quick if it is the chain.

I'd still like to know from someone if there is a specific brand of chain to get, or stay away from. I found 242 drive chains "new" on ebay for 49.95 and 89.95. Elsewhere online I see them for $100 to $115.

I'm going to call the local parts store tomorrow, but they online sites don't list them. That would be the best way. Crack open the case, and if the chain is really droopy, just pick up one locally. I really don't want to have the XJ down for a week while I wait for the chain to be delivered.

I suspect the price will be too high, but I guess I'll check the local OEM dealership.

I hate the naming of full time and part time.

Part time locks the diffs, and full time doesn't.

Full time is ok for all road surfaces and conditions.

I read in the manual that there is no difference in gas milage between 2WD and 4WD so I left it in 4WD (Full)

Remember this is a NV242 transfer case and it has that additional selection.

Ok local Dodge dealerships wants $274 for a drive chain, plus I'd have to wait 3 to 5 days for them to get one. Parts guy said there isn't one in the area. Hard to believe at $274 someone wouldn't have a boat load! lol

Well, I know there are cheap ones on ebay and such. But a guy by the name of Dee of Dee's Jeeps down in here in Tampa, Florida which is a jeep only repair shop, tells me he only uses an OEM Mopar chain to replace the old ones with. The guys really knows his stuff he's run that shop for the past 20 years or so, and owns a very well-built XJ. He told me that the OEM part is better quality and some of these less expensive ones can be cheaply made and of poor craftsmanship. Your choice, I know the OEM parts can be ridiculously priced but sometimes you have to question those cheaper brands of parts.

Well I spoke with my mechanic today. He told me that I could get a 242 from a local salvage yard for $150 to $175. I am just going to get a replacement. Once install I'll break open the one I have now and replace everything that needs to be replaced to make it good. Also I'll install the SYE, get the new drive shaft etc...

Using this method I should be good for just a weekend swap as opposed to having the XJ down for days waiting for parts to be delivered. I also have the bonus of having a spare transfer case. ;)

Back